Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Saratoga

A little late (12/27) but I finally just watched the replay of Simbaah winning .

Very nice and one to watch of course as were the two that came flying at the end (Funhouse and Thee Achiever).

(I miss Mufhasa).
Old 01-07-2014, 01:05 PM
Saratoga

Noticed that Pinzaara is in the noms for 2 races on Saturday... which will she go in?

Great to see Fix back and oh good luck to The Hombre!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:32 PM
Saratoga

Good luck, ed and Pinzaara!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:55 PM
Saratoga

Unlucky today but oh... she did look good. 5th but not much separated them... it was a really nice run.

Be proud!!!

Lovely horse who has a big win in her... it'll be her day (once again) soon enough.

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 01-10-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:13 PM
Santa Anita

Thanks! So proud of her, as always. Love how she runs her heart out every time. She is amazing.

Loved the whole day at Ellerslie. Awesome return by Spellbinder, and Glorious Lad was so impressive in his race. He's equal second favourite for the Derby now.

Fix was OK. I was hoping she might do better, but it was a pretty good effort for a first race in 10 months.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:19 AM
Saratoga

I still haven't watched most replays BUT I did just catch Yin Yang Master grabbing his 4th win... two in a row! What the...

Thank you, Johnathon Parkes, and please always have the mount on him!!!

Had to laugh... very happy he won.

Okay now onto the other race that I think I have now watched like 4 times.

The Hombre.

Okay he wasn't going to win that one but ed... after he gets kinda swallowed up does it look to you like he takes a - not a bad step, I don't want to be overly dramatic but a kind of off step?

On the replay right around 1:19 (incase you have a few minutes to take a look)... or is it me?

The stewards report isn't up yet or I'd be interested to see what it says.

Will watch Fix and all the rest tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:31 PM
Saratoga

"... and he never, ever gives up... this horse..."

Well that was a very nice win by Guns at Five and you go Trudy... lovely ride on him.

The replay thankfully goes post race a bit but I could have listened all day.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:04 PM
Santa Anita

Recite back to her brilliant best in the G1 Levin Classic! Fabulous performance. Nice Derby preps by the horses in behind her - Franzac, Aspen (top of my list at the moment), Puccini and big longshot El Doute.

Steel Rose was so brave in her Wakefield win earlier in the day.

Telegraph less than an hour away - Final Touch? Trepidation? Nashville? Albany Reunion? I can't figure it out. Hope it's a great race.

On the negative side - Trentham messed up in letting the track get to Fast1. That is way too hard, and there are reports of horses coming back in discomfort. John Bary said he was going to put ice on the knees of his Levin Classic 1-2 heroes Recite and Franzac.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:04 PM
Saratoga

Just got back into town and thought Final Touch would have won easily... guess I was wrong.

Too bad about the track... that is messed up.

Took a quick look at the fields for this weekend and can't wait!

Will you be at Ellerslie on Sunday?
Old 01-24-2014, 06:20 AM
Santa Anita

Yep, sure will! Can't wait.

I'm not sure what's wrong with Final Touch - that's three bad races in a row from her. Clearly not her usual self.

More great racing at Trentham tomorrow. I'll be at Eden Park watching the NZ cricket team destroy India again, but I'll catch up with results when I can.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:42 PM
Saratoga

Oh Jesus all I knew about the Thorndon MIle was that Ruby won so watched the replay and was totally surprised by Chritz! Whoa!

Cheers to Craig Grylls!!!!! What a terrific day for him and congrats to Graphic and her people (and to Ruby as well, of course).

Lovely run from Guns at Five and hey... I think one of the only replays I have yet to watch is the one the old man won so here's to El Chico!

Hope The Grinner is okay (scratched?) and good luck to Spellbinder, Hera and Touche in their race today.

Have fun!

(Ruby is in foal to Jimmy? Ooooh Ruby Slippers?! ).
Old 01-27-2014, 02:55 PM
Santa Anita

Ruby was so amazing! Didn't expect that. And Graphic just keeps getting better and better.

Man, that was a dramatic storm that hit Ellerslie on Sunday! Never seen anything like it. People in summer outfits were sprinting for shelter!

But the racing was still good. Spellbinder was stunning, and Vespa was outstanding. Horrible spill in the Million. Kerrin McEvoy is fine. Massale's injuries are quite serious, but fortunately not life-threatening. But it's not clear if or when he'll race again.

I think The Grinner was just scratched cos there was no room for him in the field.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:06 AM
Saratoga

Finally watched the Spellbinder replay and wow... thrilled for her and for Hera even if you couldn't actually see the horses during a lot of the race! Crazy weather! Loved the call, by the way.

One I have not watched is the Karaka Million and even though I really want to see Vespa am just kinda waiting for more of an update on poor Massale.

On El Chico...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-tim...l-going-strong

Sorry to ask (cause I know I do every year and you have a life) but when do you usually do your annual Derby contenders posts? Will you be having the time to do it this year? Hope so!

How are Archie and Pinzaara?
Old 01-29-2014, 07:39 AM
Santa Anita

Yeah, sorry I haven't been posting as much! My work relocated to a new office, and the internet security settings in the new building don't allow access to any forums. That always used to be my favourite time to come on here.

But I'll definitely find time to do the Derby posts! I'll just wait for the field to take shape a little bit more. The Waikato Guineas is this weekend - one of the main prep races every year. Really can't wait! The current Derby favourite is there, Glorious Lad, as well as other leading contenders like Chambord and Puccini and heaps of impressive lower-grade winners. Should be brilliant.

Pinzaara's running on Saturday too! Tough field (including Fix! ) But it's just great to have her competing in races like this.

His trainer tells me that Archie (racing name Brochaine) is doing well - "really grown and developed, more of a 3-year-old type, but will have another trial in the next few weeks for further assessment".
Old 01-29-2014, 03:21 PM
Saratoga

Sucks about not being able to post! I've missed you!

Hooray for the big Derby special edition issue that you put out! Can't wait.

Yes I just saw the fields for Saturday and that is a nice field... it would be stunning if she could beat Fix and win!

Re the Gunieas field (which is always just so exciting)... okay this is really stupid and I am all for one of the top guys you mentioned BUT I am very happy to see Blizzard running. Excuse me while I revert to pretty horsie mode... he is so pretty haha!

Noticed Starcheeka entered and hadn't noticed the name (his name, right? I always thought he was a she for some reason) but I see he's run lately...

Was he injured at one point?I mean weren't we expecting big things from him way back when or am I mixing up his name with someone else (and yes I do expect you to read my mind).

Exciting time of year. Can't wait for Saturday.

GOOD LUCK, PINZAARA!!!!!
Old 01-30-2014, 07:34 AM
Santa Anita

Nothing wrong with liking Blizzard! He ran a great race in the Championship Stakes. He's definitely good enough to do something in this.

Starcheeka's had a few injuries throughout his career, yeah, and he's just not been an easy horse to work with - inconsistent and very strong-willed! But he's been amazingly good when he's been in the mood. His G3 win as a 3yo was amazing.

Pinzaara's been scratched from this weekend's race. It was hard enough to beat Fix, but Stephen McKee decided it was just too much to ask from that wide gate. So we're saving her for Ellerslie on Feb 12.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:23 AM
Saratoga

Thanks for the update!
Old 01-30-2014, 09:36 PM
Saratoga

Oh my God poor Time Keeper.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:57 AM
Saratoga

Re the fields for today,in the race your girl woulda been in, interesting to see Packing Tycoon there. Not sure how I missed his name before and had to do a double take.

He was the AOB-trained Alexander Pope who, when he went to hk, couldn't win one. He hardly placed. I don't think he was very happy there!

Be interesting to see how he does now although my initial reaction is he's in waaaay over his head.

Man that just sucked finding out about Time Keeper last night. Once in a while you feel like your heart has been ripped out... you know?

He should have had a nice long, lazy retirement.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:58 PM
Santa Anita

I know. So sad. He was a lovely horse.

Thanks for the Packing Tycoon info! It'll be interesting to see how he goes.