Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2006, 02:35 PM
Jerome Park

Godolphin just spent $56 Million dollars for horses in 3 days at Keeneland.

They better get some of the best horses in the world.

They also bought Comonmom ( I think that was the slug's name ) for $3 Million after he finished second in the Remsen. He never hit the board again.

You want to know why we don't get many good horses in America anymore? Because the Sheik and Coolmore have pretty much bought a high percentage of our best horseflesh and until recently all of the best horses they bought raced in Europe. Now, I know they bred Bernardini, but where do you think her dam, Cara Rafael, came from.

Hey, it's business, and I understand it. The Sheik has the money and the right to pay whatever he wants, and if I was a breeder I would love them for making me rich as well. But, because of their obscene wealth they have effectively cornered the market and made it very hard for others to compete. But, please don't try and convince me that they have done anything brilliant, as all they have really done is simply massively outspent everyone else.

I mean, honestly, how much have they spent for both yearlings, unraced 2YOs AND raced ( and sometimes proven ) 2YOs and this is the first year they have made a serious dent in American racing? Pardon me if I'm not impressed.

But, let's be honest, I have never forgiven the Sheik for running Lamterra four times and declaring after the Arc, in reference to why he was retiring him and skipping the BC, " he's done enough ". Yeah, why race 'em when you can retire 'em.