Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Default Paynter back in clinic; Colitis diagnosed..

they say it's a recurrence of the previous illness. fever, diarhea. taking in fluids, etc. they said the fever has come down. so, sounds to me that the original illness was a bit more serious than they first said. and not a good sign that it's back. i doubt the pa derby is doable now.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Sha Tin

I think right now they are hoping tomorrow is doable. Collitis is a very serious illness, usually fatal.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
I think right now they are hoping tomorrow is doable. Collitis is a very serious illness, usually fatal.
so that's what it is? i was curious if they'd put a name to it, as i didn't see an actual diagnosis in the article i'd read. but i know colitis is a vicious bastard, and was wondering if it was something along those lines. i hope not.
is colitis the same as colitis x? that's what almost killed slew, and i think that's what got landaluce.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:14 PM
Dee Tee Stables

yeah, went to drf site to see if there was more, and i see it's colitis. that's awful, sorry to hear it.
hoping for the best...said he's stable, but no real improvement. and the vet said he's worried to death, and mentioned the fear of founder.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Steve Byk

Paynter found to have colitis; vet expresses great concern
By Jay Privman

Paynter on Tuesday night was described as being seriously ill by Dr. Mark Cheney, the respected equine veterinarian who is overseeing his treatment, who said the Haskell Invitational winner has colitis - an inflammation of the colon - and that a principle concern now is also founder.

"I'm worried to death," Cheney said in a telephone interview. "You've got to keep your fingers crossed. Just hope and pray."
Old 08-28-2012, 08:55 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Pardon the ignorance, but is it not treatable in the same manner as humans with colitis?
Old 09-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Louisiana Downs

Default Ahmed Zayat: Must Hear Amazing ESPN Interview

http://espn.go.com/sports/horse/triplecrown2012/

Ahmed Zayat gave an interview to ESPN and wow! It is a must hear!
He is very candid and open about Paynter and his condition! He is just raw and it made me an even bigger fan of his.

In the interview he even reveals that Baffert "Believes that [Paynter] is as good as Point Given." Check the 8 minute mark!

I am an even bigger fan of Ahmed Zayat's after hearing this interview and I believe anyone who hears this will feel the same way.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Dee Tee Stables

baffert saying paynter's as good as point given really doesn't matter much. the horse didn't prove it, and probably won't ever get the chance. i don't recall a horse ever returning to racing after a bout with laminitis.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
baffert saying paynter's as good as point given really doesn't matter much. the horse didn't prove it, and probably won't ever get the chance. i don't recall a horse ever returning to racing after a bout with laminitis.
He tweeted something to Doug Anderson about that:

Quote:
Doug: Think of Paynter here but can a horse recover from Laminitis n run again? I've never heard of such a case.Proly wishful thinking#rooting4him

Zayat: YES YES YES. Mark my words. His name is PAYNTER. Power up @justinzayat
I think I read something about it depending on the circumstances of why the laminitis developed. There usually isn't a need to try to run them after getting it during colitis because most horses that are in that situation die. Not sure that I'd bother trying, though. Take it as a sign that the horse has been through enough, and let's not tempt fate. If he broke down after surviving all that, Zayat would be devastated and accusations would fly. If the vet doesn't advise it, I bet he won't do it, though.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Ill be thrilled if paynter makes it, so will zayat. But i just dont see a chance in hell of the horse running again. Im just amazed at this point it would even get a second thought. Speaks to the fortitude of paynter.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Ill be thrilled if paynter makes it, so will zayat. But i just dont see a chance in hell of the horse running again. Im just amazed at this point it would even get a second thought. Speaks to the fortitude of paynter.
Yeah, I'm sure it's still far-fetched, but this horse is rewriting the book so I don't even know what we can say he will or won't do. Here's another Twitter update:

"@jazz3162 Paynter update: Doing well. Protein stable. Feet comfortable. Temp 101.3. We are stopping the iv antibiotic and will monitor fevers. He is stable and comfortable. He has a long way to go but this is a step in the right direction. He's fighting hard."
Old 09-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
baffert saying paynter's as good as point given really doesn't matter much. the horse didn't prove it,
He wasn't.

Point Given dominated the Preakness, won the Belmont with devastating ease -- and swept the Haskell and Travers in a bar shoe...running outstanding figures for a 3yo router in three of the four races.

Curtis Paynter was 1-for-4 lifetime in stakes races. Off the board in the SA Derby, beaten in the Derby Trial, blew an uncontested lead through easy fractions in the Belmont, and finally won a weak edition of the Haskell over Nonios and Steelcase.

The nonsense with Paynter has been going on before he ever raced. At least Baffert didn't say Silver Charm, who was even better than Point Given.

It was at Archwarrior levels. He was a very nice racehorse, but he wasn't even the best 3yo from his stable -- and had horses like Fed Biz and Secret Circle stayed healthy, I don't think he would have been the second best 3yo either.

Tom Brady was so impressive in workouts -- he got drafted in the 6th round 199th overall ahead of Spergon Wynn.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Yeah, doug, i was going to compare bafferts talk re paynter to gary stevens chatter after every race on his latest 'best ever'.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
He wasn't.

Point Given dominated the Preakness, won the Belmont with devastating ease -- and swept the Haskell and Travers in a bar shoe...running outstanding figures for a 3yo router in three of the four races.

Curtis Paynter was 1-for-4 lifetime in stakes races. Off the board in the SA Derby, beaten in the Derby Trial, blew an uncontested lead through easy fractions in the Belmont, and finally won a weak edition of the Haskell over Nonios and Steelcase.

The nonsense with Paynter has been going on before he ever raced. At least Baffert didn't say Silver Charm, who was even better than Point Given.

It was at Archwarrior levels. He was a very nice racehorse, but he wasn't even the best 3yo from his stable -- and had horses like Fed Biz and Secret Circle stayed healthy, I don't think he would have been the second best 3yo either.

Tom Brady was so impressive in workouts -- he got drafted in the 6th round 199th overall ahead of Spergon Wynn.
Bodemeister was open lengths better than Paynter.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
Bodemeister was open lengths better than Paynter.
Without a doubt.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:28 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
Silver Charm and Free House had serious guts and talent. The more I've looked back at that Triple Crown season, the more impressed I am with the two of them. Not that I don't appreciate Touch Gold, but I do wonder what would've happened if Silver Charm had seen him coming that day. He was the most deserving of Baffert's chances really, and I'm a fan of the underrated "fish" Real Quiet. Charm deserved that win.

It's hard to think they'd have taken a Triple Crown winner down had Real Quiet gotten his nose in front of Victory Gallop (kind of like leaving up Goldikova when she clearly caused a mess). Talk about letting the air out of the balloon. The place would've exploded with enthusiasm and then turned into a mass of confusion. A real mess. He would've deserved the take down though. Maybe the best for everybody that it ended that way rather than have the controversy?
Old 09-09-2012, 08:44 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinsky View Post
Silver Charm and Free House had serious guts and talent. The more I've looked back at that Triple Crown season, the more impressed I am with the two of them. Not that I don't appreciate Touch Gold, but I do wonder what would've happened if Silver Charm had seen him coming that day. He was the most deserving of Baffert's chances really, and I'm a fan of the underrated "fish" Real Quiet. Charm deserved that win.

It's hard to think they'd have taken a Triple Crown winner down had Real Quiet gotten his nose in front of Victory Gallop (kind of like leaving up Goldikova when she clearly caused a mess). Talk about letting the air out of the balloon. The place would've exploded with enthusiasm and then turned into a mass of confusion. A real mess. He would've deserved the take down though. Maybe the best for everybody that it ended that way rather than have the controversy?
Had Silver Charm seen Touch Gold, Touch Gold would have won the race, the same as he did.

Had Touch Gold had a proper trip in the Preakness, Touch Gold would have won two thirds of the triple crown.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:38 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartbid09 View Post
http://espn.go.com/sports/horse/triplecrown2012/

Ahmed Zayat gave an interview to ESPN and wow! It is a must hear!
He is very candid and open about Paynter and his condition! He is just raw and it made me an even bigger fan of his.

In the interview he even reveals that Baffert "Believes that [Paynter] is as good as Point Given." Check the 8 minute mark!

I am an even bigger fan of Ahmed Zayat's after hearing this interview and I believe anyone who hears this will feel the same way.
Did he bring up how his insistence on pushing the horse for a Travers start after the initial post-Haskell illness undoubtedly brought on the relapse that put him on death's door?
Old 09-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Did he bring up how his insistence on pushing the horse for a Travers start after the initial post-Haskell illness undoubtedly brought on the relapse that put him on death's door?

Sadly, the truth usually gets in the way of a good story.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post

They were so dismissal of that initial illness. It was unreal that they just blew it off like that. And paynter may pay a higher price then he already has for that.