Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-11-2008, 02:32 AM
Flemington

Default Remember This Statement By Crist

"...On the downside, none of his most talented opponents did much more than show up and run poorly. Tale of Ekati and Majestic Warrior were in a tough spot for their season debuts but neither showed a thing. J Be K couldn't even make the lead. That trio ran 6-7-8. Take them out of the race and Pyro was 1-5 against five badly overmatched opponents, none of them legitimate Derby contenders."-Steve Crist

I fully expect YANKEE BRAVO to make that statement look very stupid.This is a real racehorse,and when he gets a solid pace to chase,he is going to show you that.If Solis gets hurt before the Derby,then Bravo will have a good chance at taking it all.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:34 AM
Flemington

Yankee Bravo stinks.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:19 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
Yankee Bravo stinks.
I was waiting to play a 40-1 at the Fairgrounds Sunday,and she opened up,and got caught very late by 1 horse.So,ignore me if you want,but if this horse makes it to the Derby,he will be a definite contender.That is a racehorse.That's a timid fossil riding him.Idiot winemaker was looking for a perfect trip coming off the rail at Fairgrounds (chasing a slow pace.) You better hope Solis keeps the mount,because the horse can run,and anybody but Solis has a shot winning the Derby on this horse.Most likely,that's going to be the 1st time the horse gets a real good pace to chase,and he is gunna roll late.You're the drug that the idiot HEE HAW drank before he got the Jake Walk.

Last edited by Kasept : 03-11-2008 at 03:50 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:46 AM
Flemington

I've seen a lot of low blows come my way - but comparing me with some hick on the Hee Haw show and Alex Solis is about as bad as it gets.

Yankee Bravo has run no race that even makes him remotely competitive with Proud Spell, let alone makes him an authentic Derby candidate.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:58 AM
Flemington

Quote:
I've seen a lot of low blows come my way - but comparing me with some hick on the Hee Haw show and Alex Solis is about as bad as it gets.

Yankee Bravo is a bum. He has no good race.
All he has is good races on multiple surfaces,and with bad paces for him to chase(and a jock with no nerve left.)Solis has been making the parasitic wait for the perfect trip move(coming off the rail) since he got hurt at Del Mar.He stinks.If he's in the race,the horse gets top 4 with Solis up,and a chance to win it with anybody else up.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:09 AM
Flemington

Quote:

Yankee Bravo has run no race that even makes him remotely competitive with Proud Spell, let alone makes him an authentic Derby candidate.
Fine,if you're so sure then give me 100-1 on him.Back it up....Easy money for ya.I'll send Byk $40 to hold.He seems to know ya.If he says you're good for the 4k ,then we're on.If he stinks,then don't be chickenshit.Just collect my $40.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:45 AM
Flemington

Chicken.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:00 AM
Morris Park

LoL on Solis. So I guess you're passing on the Jinetes "uncorking" ceremony at SA Scuds? I was hoping for a picture by the fountain.....wind in our hair, munching on some cheese. They purchased those grapes themselves I hope you know.

Off topic, Steve Crist? I know him as a HR writer, but recently came across the same name outside this sphere of influence. Is he by any chance the same Steve Crist that served as editor on some of Hunter S. Thompson's works? (Curse of Lono, etc...)
Old 03-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER

I fully expect YANKEE BRAVO to make that statement look very stupid.This is a real racehorse,and when he gets a solid pace to chase,he is going to show you that.If Solis gets hurt before the Derby,then Bravo will have a good chance at taking it all.

I'm just curious, in the wild and unlikely chance that Yankee Bravo has no impact on this Derby, I know....it's improbable, will you be resurrecting this thread and saying " Oh geez, Mr. Crist was on target ( again ) and I was wrong " or will it be yet another preposterous stab that floats away in the carnage after the Derby?

You play the horses SCUDS, so I would assume that just like me you make many statements at the windows on a daily basis that one could label as " stupid " after the races have been run. Steve Crist is a horseplayer just like you and me. So, suddenly you have decided that he is somehow accountable for giving an opinion in a way that we aren't?

Hogwash.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
I'm just curious, in the wild and unlikely chance that Yankee Bravo has no impact on this Derby, I know....it's improbable, will you be resurrecting this thread and saying " Oh geez, Mr. Crist was on target ( again ) and I was wrong " or will it be yet another preposterous stab that floats away in the carnage after the Derby?

You play the horses SCUDS, so I would assume that just like me you make many statements at the windows on a daily basis that one could label as " stupid " after the races have been run. Steve Crist is a horseplayer just like you and me. So, suddenly you have decided that he is somehow accountable for giving an opinion in a way that we aren't?

Hogwash.
Hell yes.He is getting paid to write opinions.I have been censored twice already for stuff I wrote in this thread.So,I can tell I am hitting Eastern Nerve here,but I think he was sloppy to say this horse isn't a legit derby contender.I give it 50% chance the horse goes off the trail with injury.40% chance the horse fires strong in the derby,and 10% chance the horse does nothing while running in the derby.That's the way I think it is.So,yea if he gets his shot and runs poorly,then I will come say I was wrong.I fully expect it will be the other 90%,but we will see.You and him have 10% chance to come in here and say "see,he had no shot." I feel the horse will be in the exotics.Be tough for him to actually win with the winemaker up.With somebody else? Lookout,Andy,he comin'.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Hell yes.He is getting paid to write opinions.I have been censored twice already for stuff I wrote in this thread.So,I can tell I am hitting Eastern Nerve here,but I think he was sloppy to say this horse isn't a legit derby contender.I give it 50% chance the horse goes off the trail with injury.40% chance the horse fires strong in the derby,and 10% chance the horse does nothing while running in the derby.That's the way I think it is.So,yea if he gets his shot and runs poorly,then I will come say I was wrong.I fully expect it will be the other 90%,but we will see.You and him have 10% chance to come in here and say "see,he had no shot." I feel the horse will be in the exotics.Be tough for him to actually win with the winemaker up.With somebody else? Lookout,Andy,he comin'.
The question isn't whether you will come on and call yourself wrong, in the event YB runs poorly in the derby. The question is will you call yourself stupid and sloppy. That is what you have called others who dont' share your opinion on YB. It's not so much you have hit eastern nerve, its more to do with your comments being boorish.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
The question isn't whether you will come on and call yourself wrong, in the event YB runs poorly in the derby. The question is will you call yourself stupid and sloppy. That is what you have called others who dont' share your opinion on YB. It's not so much you have hit eastern nerve, its more to do with your comments being boorish.
No,I did not say some horse wasn't a legit derby contender.He took that extreme road.He was sloppy to make a statement that is a stupid statement.I am not calling him stupid.The boorish statement was made by THE DRUGS GUY.HE SAID THE HORSE STINKS.Hey,if I was being paid to write,then, obviously, I would write more politically correct.I would be picking Pyro like the rest of these guys playing it safe.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Oaklawn

I'd rather read Crist hand down a real opinion, good or bad than read Haskin who clearly thinks that any 3yo TB is a legit contender for the KY Derby.

I read both commentators for different reasons. Haskin often has quotes and post race info, as well as anticipated next starts for the Derby candidates. his content however reads like a glowing review of each and every colt. They can't all be that good, can they? Crist OTOH, will give me his honest opinion about a colt's efforts and chances next out. I have every right to disagree and every right to say so. That doesn't make his work sloppy. In fact few writers are as organized and careful in their preparation as Crist. I may disagree with every point he makes but I would never call him sloppy.

As to disagreement in general, the betting here is legal and encouraged. Put up or shut up. You like something? I don't so bet me! Either a prop bet or through the mutuel windows. The disagreement need not turn personal. If Crist doesn't like a horse you like it doesn't make him sloppy. He sees it differently from you. Take advantage and get your price.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:

Oh, the old West Coast paranoia. Love that.

You think he was " sloppy " for giving his honest opinion? Thankfully, there are still a few journalists left that think giving their actual opinions is important. What would actually be " sloppy " is if he didn't analyze the race as he saw it. You disagree with his opinion, for whatever reasons, which is certainly your right. Insulting the guy just makes you look....well, I think ArlJim said it best, boorish.

I disagree with Steve on races on many occasions, not on the internet but when talking to him, but I have nothing but the greatest respect for his opinions.....as well as his right to have them. His work is never " sloppy. "
Old 03-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Flemington

Quote:

You think he was " sloppy " for giving his honest opinion? Thankfully, there are still a few journalists left that think giving their actual opinions is important. What would actually be " sloppy " is if he didn't analyze the race as he saw it. You disagree with his opinion, for whatever reasons, which is certainly your right. Insulting the guy just makes you look....well, I think ArlJim said it best, boorish.

I disagree with Steve on races on many occasions, not on the internet but when talking to him, but I have nothing but the greatest respect for his opinions.....as well as his right to have them. His work is never " sloppy. "
Well,this time,Crist was sloppy.He was trying to make a case against Pyro,and got sloppy doing it.That's my opinion.What is this guy, the freakin' Dalai Lama? I don't care who said he is not a legit derby contender.That person is wrong,and it will be shown.Just let it play out,and now that you drank the same cocktail,you best hope Solis retains the mount,because it's a definite handicap the horse must be able to overcome.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Well,this time,Crist was sloppy.He was trying to make a case against Pyro,and got sloppy doing it.That's my opinion.What is this guy, the freakin' Dalai Lama? I don't care who said he is not a legit derby contender.That person is wrong,and it will be shown.Just let it play out,and now that you drank the same cocktail,you best hope Solis retains the mount,because it's a definite handicap the horse must be able to overcome.

He's wrong and sloppy because you disagree with him?

That's a new one. At least, however, you've already given yourself a built in excuse. Blaming the jockey before a race really bolsters your case.

I guess I'm wrong as well.....Yankee Bravo is about as ridiculous a supposed contender as I have heard meantioned on this Derby Trail. And that's saying something.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Flemington

Quote:

"

Paranoia? I've been censored twice in this thread that started with a statement from an Eastern-based writer.He just happens to be the guy who wrote the original statement.I don't think I'd of been censored if I didn't hit the Eastern Nerve.This is East Coast Cappin' Royalty.I didn't go looking for a statement to attack.I just noticed it as a sloppy statement,and I can't show you it's sloppy until the Derby is run.The horse has run well in 3 stakes in a row(on 3 different surfaces.)He has fired in all 4 lifetime races.He is a deep rater in a race that is probably gunna have War Zito smoking along for 9 furlongs.I think PYRO and Bravo go by,and run top 4.This horse has had 4 races,and this guy rules him out as a legit derby contender? If it's his opinion,then I think it's made mainly with an East Coast bias against horses who have raced over synthetic race tracks.See,this is the same guy who said we rushed to put in synthetic surfaces out here.Well,we had to fill cards,and we couldn't do it if we continued to race on dirt.We don't have the sheer number of horses that other parts of the country do.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
I nearly prayed for God to take me right after reading this, knowing that the smile on my face probably will never get bigger.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 03-11-2008, 12:35 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

whats an eastern nerve?..oh thats the one that connects your balls to your wallet..
Old 03-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
10% chance the horse has no impact? Is there some alternative number scheme I am unaware of?
I miss things too. Maybe this one is in the chapter that reviews first time starters on the Big A inner?