Thread: Worst Ride EVER
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Arlington Park

The ‘brutal trip’ comment by the chart maker is simply wrong, thanks for bringing that to my attention, but that comment is probably the most over the top, inaccurate comment I’ve ever read describing a ride since I began reading charts.

I watched the race again and again and came to the same conclusion as when I first saw it.

Rose’s horse broke on top but was then outsprinted by the 2 pace horses, instead of “engaging” into a 3 way speed duel he allowed his horse to settle into a stalking position behind the speed, the horse was never steadied or checked as they were approaching the turn though for a brief moment he was in tight, when Rose decided to make his move he tipped off his horse on the turn, the horse responded under pressure but couldn’t hold his position to the eventual winner causing him to check behind the drifting pace horse. My belief is the Rose horse simply wasn’t good enough yesterday as evidenced when he couldn’t accelerate with the winner or hold his position on the turn.

You can be critical of the tactics but not the ride;
However if Rose chose different tactics by engaging the leaders and dueling with them, how much horse would he had then? Secondly his only other alternative would have been to put a stranglehold on his horse and have him come from off the pace, since this horse was never a deep closer, I'm not sure that would have been the correct thing to do either.