View Single Post
Old 01-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
I've thought about this a lot recently, and discussed it with some board members as well. My belief is that it should've been done after the Preakness. The extent of his injuries and subsequent laminitis were massive. Every horse, other than a Derby winner, would have been put down. Add to it the negative coverage that comes from such a high profile horse and the work to save him makes sense. I think the Jackson's are good people, but it doesn't mean they are doing the right thing here. Horses don't speak, and sure the horse might not seem like he's in pain, but the constant surgeries and treatments are not going to stop. In fact he had another surgery last night....I don't see this having a happy ending. I think the mistake was made during the summer and its being compounded. Again, the animal lover in me thinks he should be put down. There is nothing noble about keeping him around to go from surgery to surgery to setback to setback.
Randall,
Sadly, I find myself in agreement with you.
I wrote about him in my "lessons learned from chickens" thread.
I've been a fan of his for a long long time. Oh the thrills!
That said, there comes a time to end the suffering, admit it. Misery needs to be confronted despite all of our best hopes otherwise.
Yes, Barbaro has made many friends, myself included.
All of his fans will cry, as they should. I will.
It's difficult to give up on hope, dreams unfulfilled.
I sure would love to see his babies run, but if that's not in the cards, I'll just treasure good memories, and let him go.
It might be in his best interest.
Peace.
DTS