View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 05:41 PM
Arlington Park

Multiple Grade I Winner Urbane Dies at Age 22
By Ron Mitchell, February 26, 2014 2:09 PM6 CommentsBreeding, Kentucky
Multiple Grade I Winner Urbane Dies at Age 22

Urbane, the Siegel family's multiple grade I winner and top producer, died early Feb. 25 at Mill Ridge Farm in Lexington after giving birth the previous night to an Into Mischief filly. The daughter of Citidancer was 22.

Samantha Siegel wrote in a Twitter post that the mare apparently hemorrhaged and was not in pain before she died.

"When one life ends, another begins," Siegel wrote in reference to the newborn filly that is now being cared for by a nurse mare.

Bred in Maryland by Frank J. Zureick and Violet Cleveland, Urbane was purchased by Jan, Mace, and Samantha Siegel for $25,000 from the Muirfield East consignment to the 1993 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic September yearling sale.

Trained first by Brian Mayberry and then Randy Bradshaw, Urbane won or placed in 16 of 18 starts and earned $1,018,568. Among her eight wins were seven stakes, including the Ashland Stakes and John A. Morris Handicap (both gr. I). The mare placed in eight additional stakes, including the Kentucky Oaks and Santa Anita Oaks (both gr. I).

As good as she was on the track, Urbane was nearly as good as a broodmare, producing millionaire, multiple grade II winner Suave, and stakes winner Worldly, both sons of A.P. Indy.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...#ixzz2uTU0nYFe