View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 04:42 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinsky View Post
You and me both. I enjoy dry humor and he's naturally quippy. He also knows the game and bets. If you don't use Kenny, you really need someone else to fill that niche and it helps if they already follow horse racing. Otherwise, it'll be a steep learning curve that bores anybody who bets. Not that I wouldn't watch And They're Off for Haskin alone, but I like Lenny trying to inject some humor.

I always felt Hank's main issue was feeling comfortable enough on camera to breathe properly. He seemed to be holding in air and trying to get as much out as possible, forgetting to breathe out normally. It's a pure nerves issue, probably based on the fact that it was usually a live piece. I've been there done that myself, and it's so agonizing because thinking about it makes it worse. The commentary is not the easiest to sit through as a result, but I enjoy him as a person, and like that he puts his money where his mouth is. Hank's kind of a mascot.
I don't know if Hank had nerve issues but he isn't exactly a paradigm of health. He might just be that close to croaking.