View Single Post
Old 03-31-2019, 09:54 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
You can't fault him for caving late after that ridiculous pace at Sunland (and he did battle back far a brief spell at the top of the lane). He settled well when stalking the pacesetter in the Robert Lewis, rallied smartly on the far turn, and pulled clear emphatically down the stretch. He also pulled clear of the rest and finished up well when runner up in the Los Al Futurity after setting a modest tempo.

Where he probably falls down is his class level. Improbable tore him a new one in the latter race. Despite that, if I was convinced he would be taken off the engine in the Kentucky Derby, I think he could have a live longshot look.

That said, I would love to see him in the Allen Jerkens at 7 furlongs (or the Malibu at the end of the year). In general, horses that can handle a middle distance have an advantage over true sprinters in extended sprints.
This is all fair. I just always love these fast horses, who feel a bit distance challenged turning back. A horse like Country House could also be a beast at 7f. He needs pace and he'd get it.