View Single Post
Old 05-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
If Bodemeister doesn't win ... I hope he at least runs his race and I'll Have Another finds something that I really don't think he has to beat him. He wouldn't be the first Derby winner to jump up and pop an unexpected great performance in the Preakness ... Smarty Jones, Funny Cide, and Charismatic all did recently. I even think War Emblem's Preakness win was a better performance than his Derby win.

Anyway -- if Bodemeister fires and doesn't crush this field as I expect -- it would be nice to see this budding rivalry countinue all season. Even if they don't deserve to be compared with Easy Goer and Sunday Silence ... Bodemeister has ton of raw talent, excitement, and great pedigree like EG did. And I'll Have Another has that underdog angle like SS always did.
I basically got exactly what I had "hoped" for.

And now I'm close to about two thousand dollars lighter because of it.

Even after betting Bode to win and Bode over IHA, DNB, and CC in exotics on my accounts, I came back and fired in another $800 win bet on Bode at the track today.

I got to see a great race and looked live for a nice score on the turn ... but I'm taking the tail and putting it between my legs and not going to be around to post for a day or two.

Basically, blessing you guys with my absence as I catch up on some figure and handicapping stuff I've got behind on.

If you don't take the attitude 'I was wrong, but I'll bounce right back' you can really go on tilt...especially after losing on such a short price in such a close race. Not letting things snowball when you get humbled by the game is really as important as anything else -- at least for me.

A big ego and high emotion are a tremendous edge -- until a tough result or bad break inevitably comes along to tilt your handicapping and betting if you let it.

Even with the track the way it was -- where they humanly made sure not to giftwrap anything for Bodemeister -- I still didn't believe he could possibly lose without anything short of I'll Have Another not taking the bait to engage him -- and pulling a Smarty Jones and Funny Cide type Preakness improve.

Great horse race. It took the gleam out of my eye for a few hours here, but it was a good one.