View Single Post
Old 05-30-2006, 05:05 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbridled
Its hard to bet on races on with small fields. Horses continue to break down at Keeneland and the Californai tracks costing us potential superstars (i.e What A Song). The Polytrack is a much safer surface that can be made faster or slower depending upon the make up of it and also the climate that its in. More people(i.e those that watch on the big days) will stay interested in the game once they can follow a horse that will be able to race frequently throughout the year b/c its not injured from running on hard/concrete surfaces, also field size will swell (see Turfway Park) which will increase handle. The positives factors outweigh the negatives here.
Geez Johnny V got injured on a horse that broke down on the grass after it won. Landseer and Funfair have gone down in big races as well. Horses were bred for dirt and grass. Its a marketing scheme, nothing more or less,
They could make surfaces deeper like the Oklahoma track in Saratoga. Trainers love it. I gues my question is if its the surface alone breaking down teh horses, then why all the turf breakdowns?
Whats next, marketing company gonna come up with polyturf? Green ground up tires coated with green wax?
Horses dont fire on it, ask a few top trainers about that. The Oaks winner spun her wheels on it badly in a minorstakes race. Lawyer Ron would have been a claimer had he stayed on it. Soi we should just dismiss all the talented runners and say screw it and run on the tires?
name one horse who has made an impact on dirt racing after racing on polytrack and replicated the form? You cant just replace dirt with something that bears no resemblance to it in form or reality whatsoever.