Thread: Hurt speech
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2015, 02:16 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk View Post
Hey, OldDog! Apologies for not replying sooner!

The things I cited can all be defended as constitutionally protected free speech.

I was giving you examples of how what the students are mad about is NOT an email about Halloween costumes; it goes much, much deeper than that. Their peers, their fellow students, are painting swastikas in feces, and hanging nooses, and donning blackface at parties. And it's not like this behavior is new to them once they get to college. The NYDaily News ran an article this week about a 14-year-old honor student and athlete at school in Virginia writing a letter about the racism and harassment he faces from his peers:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2432355
You never need apologize for not answering me sooner. I am at best a part-timer here and often don't visit for days at a time.

Those things might be defended by someone somewhere as free speech, but I've not seen that defense applied legally. And when prosecuted as trespass or vandalism I don't recall free speech being evoked as a defense.

Putting Shaun King aside, that's very ugly. Don't all states have rules against bullying and harassment? The school officials should be called out if it's true and they aren't doing anything about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk View Post
The student in the video may well be from a financially secure family and, as you pointed out, she's going to Yale. That said, as many of the students protesting on campus have pointed out, it's Yale. It's supposed to be a safe space; they're paying for this.
Do the students in this "movement" really want to have a dialogue? It seems like they only want to be heard and not to hear. That's not a conversation.

Quote:
Black only healing space for the students to share, decompress, be vulnerable & real. #ConcernedStudent1950
All this talk about "spaces." I guess libraries aren't considered to be "safe spaces."
http://www.mediaite.com/online/dartm...hy-white-fcks/
Dartmouth parents should be asking for a refund.