View Single Post
Old 11-02-2006, 08:32 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig188
i've heard the audio of kerry making those remarks back in the 70's, more than once. also the audio of him saying not long ago that our soldiers shouldn't be 'terrorizing kids, children, and women in iraq'. that's right, not only are our best and bravest rapists, murderers and arsonists, but now they commit acts of terror--at least according to kerry...at least he didn't compare them to nazis, as another dem has done....kerry's a fraud--his whole goose hunt deal was the worst acting display i have ever seen.
Then for the love of Pete, would someone please track down what he said and post it? It makes me crazy when people say, "Oh, so-and-so said such-and-such" and then say, "But I don't have time to find what he said." Well, then you might be misquoting. And you might not, but without the actual quotes, presented in their entirety for context, how can anyone know? And if you're not willing to take the time to track it down, then why post it? It's not fair to say, "Well, someone else should look it up."

Again, I find it logically very hard to believe a veteran would say all veterans are child rapists and murderers. I could A) believe that he was referring to a small number of soldiers who are naturally sociopaths, in or out of uniform or B) that the strains of war, fighting for an unpopular cause and a government that historically has not really supported its soldiers and veterans well would not offer the support needed and some would unhinge from the enormous stress they were under. I'm skeptical that he said anything about the entire armed forces.

Kerry's a bad speaker, no question, and he made a dumb joke (which his speechwriters are claiming was not even how they worded it-- true? I don't know. But if it is, it once again reminds this writer of how non-writers seem to think it's easy to write and usually when they try to edit, they make it worse. Unless they're editors. Then they know what they're doing. Kerry is not.) And he apologized to anyone who misinterpreted him. Fine. I can't see how any rational person could honestly think he intended, in an obviously public speech, to insult the armed forces he served in, but obviously Bush lovers are going to believe he was because it makes them feel better about voting for the party of "Heck of a job, Brownie" and "terrific job" (Rumsfeld).

For the record, Rupert (I'd been wondering where you were, by the way- nice to see you), I would feel EXACTLY the same way if Bush had said the comment. I won't pretend I wouldn't be feeling the glee that you neo-cons are all feeling about Kerry's gaffe, but I would absolutely think he'd screwed up what he meant to say. I think Bush is a fundamentalist rich kid who absolutely refuses to deal with reality, but I also don't believe he'd deliberately insult the armed forces. Understaff them, sure. Underfund them, sure. Deprive them of body armor, sure. But publicly insult them? Not in a million years. But if Kerry's gaffe makes you want to go vote Republican because you are pleased with the direction the nation is currently going, well, then go vote Republican. You've had six years of complete Republican control-- if you're happy with the results, then you know what to do.

Danzig, I actually think a divided gov't is when gov't runs best, so I don't fear that a Democratic Congress will stymie everything-- the only veto Bush cast was against federally funded stem-cell research, which means we have a deficit that your kids and grandkids are going to be paying for (you have kids, yes?). The gov't has GOT to get that under control, first and foremost. And the Republicans are pigs at the trough right now, bringing home as much as they can to their constituencies. And Bush won't rein them in. If the Dems are in charge of Congress, they won't be able to push their pork through, and Bush won't be able to push his pork through. Anything that gets through will probably be pretty decent. Clinton was Pres over a divided gov't, and they weren't such bad years. Divided gov't is a good thing.

Now, can I throw out a much more interesting volley, and see what people have to say about this?
http://www.slate.com/id/2152671/nav/tap1/

Dear lord; Breeders Cup over on Saturday and elections over on Tuesday. What is this board going to get to argue about?

Happy Thursday, everyone, by the way. A nice day to all of you! I'm limping off to work now.