View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Saratoga

Sporting Life.....

LIGHT SMASHES YORK RECORD
(no author listed)

Echo Of Light smashed the course record for York's nine furlongs by more than two seconds when repeating last year's triumph in the TurfTV Strensall Stakes.

Frankie Dettori blazed the trail on the Godolphin five-year-old, who galloped on too strongly for the opposition.

The 5-4 favourite romped clear by two and a half lengths from the staying-on Halicarnassus, with Kandidate a further three-quarters of a length back in third.

"He has a tremendous cruising speed. I knew I had a healthy cushion by the time we were a furlong and a half from home," said Dettori.

"He likes to travel on the bridle and I was able to do that to the furlong marker and kept him going to the line.

"I was surprised it was a course record because the wind was a bit against us so it was a pretty good effort."

Trainer Saeed bin Suroor added: "This horse has always shown plenty of speed in his morning work.

"In the past he would not settle but with age he has become more relaxed.

"York suits him and he has improved from his win in France last time.

"There is a race for him he won last year on the day before the Arc over a mile (the Prix Daniel Wildenstein).

"He might take him there, but he will see how he is after this race. He is tough."