View Single Post
Old 02-01-2021, 11:35 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
Express Train is going to win a 10-furlong Grade I. He was completely uncomfortable for a full half-mile in that race and still won easily. No question that he has a bunch of untapped potential.
I don't think he was uncomfortable so much as loaded down the backstretch. That said, the race Saturday was basically a 2nd condition allowance contest.

Express Train was inexplicably tossed on to the turf amidst his fall comeback (could have run in the Native Diver, Clark, Fayette, or another allowance) which fortunately did not derail his dirt form.

There are just 4 Grade 1s on dirt carded at 10 furlongs in this country outside the BC Classic. The good news is that 2 of them are at this same meet, one of which is in less than 5 weeks, so there is a good chance he will only have to beat Tizamagician and Idol again, presuming the real horses await the Dubai World Cup. Last year's Big Cap runner-up Multiplier is prepping in a $50K claimer next week so there's a chance they may need more than half of the starting gate if he shows up, too.

Also, Shirreffs has Express Train's stablemate Midcourt waiting in the wings but perhaps he'll await the Gold Cup since he didn't start Saturday. By then the waters might get deeper if Combatant and Campaign are back in full swing.

Restrainedvengence is also tightening the screws but I'm not sure if he's going to point for the Big Cap or the Curribot Handicap at Sunland Park...