View Single Post
Old 12-26-2020, 08:13 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Right, but that's just the point.

Charlatan proved that he had neither the stamina nor the soundness to win the Triple Crown.

He was unable to run at 2 to be a legit contender in a normal year and even with the Derby in September he couldn't hold together long enough to make the race.

To say this 7f win in a 6-horse field off a 7 month layoff proves he would have won at 10f, 9.5f, and 12f against full fields in a span of 5 weeks ignores all other requisite qualities of a champion Thoroughbred aside from Brilliance.
Except this year, the TC was 8f, 9.5f, and 10f and it was spread over several months.

Of course you're right if you're talking about his soundness. I'm talking strictly from a talent perspective. Blackthroatedwind uses the silly argument that he proved he wasn't a superior distance horse in the Arkansas Derby. I'm assuming here that he thinks Authentic proved he was a superior distance horse in the Haskell. Do you share that ridiculous opinion? Nobody watching that day thought that Authentic would handle another furlong well. Yet, he did. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but if you tell me that after watching Charlatan in Arkansas and Authentic in NJ that you thought Authentic was the better prospect at 10f, our opinions are further off than I thought.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine