View Single Post
Old 11-14-2020, 11:31 AM
Ellis Park

Default Short fields or quality hoses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
My loss of interest has nothing to do with horses retiring early. And don’t think horses running longer will intrigue new people.

As much as I love the sport of racing, the gambling part is what has always drawn me in. Frankly, the gambling product for the most part sucks. Small fields, races that aren’t competitive, move up trainers that perform miracles and betting a horse at 4-1 in the gate and seeing his odds change to 2-1 out of the gate are a few of the things that has me taking an extended break.

The Breeders Cup, that ridiculous track they souped up for no reason and performances like Knicks Go was the push I needed.

I’m not crazy about horses running so infrequently and retiring prematurely, but I think the only way to bring in new blood is make the gambling part as attractive as possible. It’s not very attractive right now, IMO. If it wasn’t for contests I would’ve been gone years ago. But racing should take a long look in the mirror because if someone like me is fed up, how many others are there that are as well? I eat, sleep and drink this sport.
I used to be the guy that loved the graded stakes and top tier horses that some "Boutique" tracks like Del Mar Keenland and to some extent Saratoga(though they generally have decent large field's )but now I gamble more on larger fields when i hit it hard(Derby,Breeders Cup,opening day at Del Mar accepted).
I think the most important thing is to get these tracks to run fewer races and 8+ larger fieldss