View Single Post
Old 02-02-2015, 08:00 PM
Lincoln Fields

Indygita is entered to run on Friday at Gulfstream in the 9th race and will probably go off at double-digits again.

So I am looking back on this 12/17 race and trying to assess the class of three young turfers that finished ahead of Indygita, who was blocked in the stretch.

The winner Miss Temple City finished a game 3rd (led throughout and beaten by a length) on Jan 24 in the G3 Sweetest Chant. Her BSF increased from 72 on 12/17 to 79. She beat the probable favorite in Friday's race (Nicky's Brown Miss) by 2.25 lengths. This is a promising class angle...

Here's where it gets tricky: the Pletcher filly Back Flip and the Motion filly Magnificent Margo next ran in a non-wagering event called the OBS Breeder Stakes $100k, finishing 3rd and 7th respectively and Beyers of 63 and 59.

But how should a handicapper assess these non-wagering races? Are the horses there for a workout and not being fully extended? Maybe somebody can help me, because I am really not familiar with how these OBS races work.

Really complicates things when trying to weigh the strength of this race. You almost have to start getting into the trainers' minds. Do Pletcher and Motion LOVE their horses and want to feature them - or are they just enigmas?

Head-scratcher!

Otis