View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 12:05 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
There could be but my opinion is that it doesn't make sense to have Gamine run 10f then cut back to 9f and have one less week off between races. Maybe if the Derby was the goal for her, she could have gone in the Travers to get some points because she has none. As ambitious as I usually am, I think it was smarter to run in the Test against Venetian Harbor to prepare for the Oaks than it would have been to run in the Travers against Tiz the Law or go 10f in the Alabama. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gamine in the Preakness if she keeps it going in the Oaks.
In theory, they could have also run her in the Coaching Club (4 weeks after the Acorn and larger purse than the Test) or the Monmouth Oaks (5 weeks after the Acorn and smaller purse). I can see wanting to give her more time after the massive effort in the Acorn, though. Still, it's notable that all her official wins came around one turn and the race where she was DQed, her only race around two turns, she only won by a neck. I highly doubt she would make it 10 furlongs against the likes of Tiz the Law or Art Collector. I have my doubts she'll beat Speech or Swiss Skydiver at 9 furlongs.