View Single Post
Old 09-28-2016, 12:01 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Songbird's BSFs are comparable to Beholder's at 3. She only threw up a triple digit Beyer in her first start against older horses. Even now at 6, Beholder tends to register Beyers in the 90s while often winning in similar fashion to Songbird, often geared down.

As far as dominant 3yo fillies go, it would be interesting to see other champion 3yo filly BSFs in the recent past. Rachel Alexandra and Silverbulletday were clearly faster at 3 based on BSFs. They were also mere shadows of their former selves at 4. I think Banshee Breeze was faster. I don't think Sky Beauty consistently Beyered over 100, nor Blind Luck. Untapable threw up 2 big numbers in the Fair Grounds and Kentucky Oaks but was otherwise stuck in the high 90s the rest of her career.
I think comparing her with Rachel at this point is fruitless and off putting Songbird has earned better then to be compared with a filly she isn't. Rachel too date was in completely different league not because of Fig's but because of the competition he had beaten in fast races. Connects have done everything right, filly has been way better then her competition.
I don't think SB wins the Distaff, I think hitting the board would be a heck of an accomplishment.

Songbird's campaign has been extraordinary and I could really care what her figs have been other then for handicapping and betting. I haven't seen many better 3 year old fillies that's for dam sure, faster not necessarily better.