View Single Post
Old 11-25-2020, 04:02 PM
Havre de Grace

Funny, we were talking about Native American tribes last night and I mentioned the Caddo were Native Americans in these parts and that a river was named after them. I just noticed on the future bets listing that there is a horse named Caddo River. Horse is owned by Mr. John Ed Anthony and trained by Brad Cox. Wouldn't be surprised if we saw that one at Fairgrounds or maybe at Oaklawn.

Some might remember some of Mr. Anthony's horses. His Loblolly Stables had Pine Bluff, Temperance Hill, Vanlandingham and Cox's Ridge as well as others. I think most of these were trained by Shug McGaughey or maybe some by Joe Cantey. Mr. Anthony named his horses after towns and landmarks and even people (the Vanlandinghams)here in Arkansas. I think he made his money in the timberlands here and therefore the name Loblolly which is a type of pine tree. Story goes, if I'm getting it right, that after he was divorced, his wife got all the horses, so now his stable is called Short-leaf which I think is another name for pine trees.

Last edited by cal828 : 11-25-2020 at 04:34 PM.