View Single Post
Old 10-10-2015, 09:30 AM
Arlington Park

Rock Fall Euthanized After Keeneland Work
By Ron Mitchell, October 10, 2015 10:13 AM 5 CommentsRacing, Breeders' Cup, Kentucky
Print

Stonestreet Stables' Rock Fall , a two-time grade I winner among the favorites for the Oct. 31 TwinSpires Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I), broke down just past the wire and was euthanized following a workout at Keeneland Oct. 10.

The 4-year-old Speightstown colt trained by Todd Pletcher had just completed a workout in company when he broke down in front of the grandstand.

State veterinarian Dr. Will Farmer said it appeared Rock Fall broke down as he was pulling up following the breeze and suffered injuries to both front limbs.

Bred in Kentucky by SF Bloodstock and a $250,000 purchase at the Fasig-Tipton Sarataga select yearling sale, Rock Fall had won seven races in a row, including the A. G. Vanderbilt and Vosburgh, both grade I, after finishing eighth in his career debut. He had earned $749,180. It had been announced earlier this month that Rock Fall was scheduled to stand at stud alongside his sire at WinStar Farm upon completion of his career.

"We are heartbroken to confirm our Rock Fall sustained a life-ending training injury this morning at Keeneland," Barbara Banke's Stonestreet said via Twitter.

Rock Fall is the third horse to suffer a catastrophic injury while racing or training over the main track at Keeneland during the fall meet.

Farmer said the state veteriinarian's office at this time has no concerns about the condition of the Keeneland track surface, noting that he has heard no complaints from trainers and that the races and race times have not indicated any issues.