View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 12:22 AM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Good insight, Doug. I agree that there are a lot of races where not much is to be said, and I do use a succinct 'no major trips' comment occasionally, but I still usually include a few sentences if I think something can be gleaned from a fairly-run race (i.e. favorite loses with no excuse, horse looks like it needs more/less distance, first-time starter runs better than anticipated, etc.)

I prefer to focus on one track at a time, not just in doing trip notes, but my wagering as well. Obviously this is limiting in the ways you pointed out, but I generally do better when I can handicap a particular meet card-by-card. It helps to figure out owner/trainer/jockey tendencies, and more importantly, it allows me to gauge whether a race came up strong/weak for its level and how to view the horses coming out of that race going forward.

I've been busy with work the past week, so that's why I haven't been posting as much, but now that the US Open is coming to a close, I'll be putting up some cards this week.