View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Arlington Park

Names unknown, probably never raced but deserve a place in this thread. Steve has a thread in the paddock with more info and links to donate.

Rescue Groups Seek Help With Seized Horses
By Blood-Horse Staff
Updated: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:15 PM
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:30 AM

With the last horses removed from a Louisiana farm after they were discovered to be malnourished, a humane society and equine rescue groups in the state are seeking financial assistance in caring for the seized Thoroughbreds.

According to the Shreveport Times, the last 13 horses at Charles Ford’s Hillcrest Farm near Many, La., were removed from the property Jan. 10. The seizure began Jan. 6, and more than 60 horses have been removed from the farm. About 25 horses were reportedly found deceased on the property.

According to the newspaper, Ford has been charged with cruelty to animals and has been released on $2,500 bond.

Larry Kelly, president of the Sabine Parish Humane Society, which took possession of the horses, told the Times Ford has 15 days to post bond of $1,500 for each of the horses he wishes to retain. If he does that, the humane society must keep the horses for an additional 30 days.

Among the groups assisting the Sabine Parish Humane Society have been Remember Me Rescue and Louisiana Horse Rescue, which estimate the cost of care of the horses to be about $450 daily. Also assisting the humane society have been Shannon Rojas and the veterinary team at Louisiana State University.

Remember Me Rescue has petitioned the humane society to adopt all of the remaining horses, according to the group’s website. “If allowed to do so, we will rehabilitate, retrain, and re-home all of them over the next several months, and (they will) be placed in loving forever homes,” according to a message posted on the Remember Me Rescue website.

Copyright © 2012 Blood-Horse Publications. All rights reserved internationally.