View Single Post
Old 12-07-2006, 08:28 AM
Saratoga

Trackwork notes (continued)...

Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Sprint

SILENT WITNESS (HK) - Barrier 2

"You can't ask for any more than that," jockey Felix Coetzee said after the dual champion covered 400m on the dirt in 21.6 sec.

"I'm just hoping that he can draw an inside gate now because that will be an advantage of a length or two."

Tony Cruz, trainer:

"The horse is healthy and I still think he has got what it takes and he can win this race again. He's a big, gross horse, and the more you train him, somehow the more weight he puts on - but you have to live that. The main thing right now is that he's healthy."

TAKEOVER TARGET (AUS) - Barrier 12

Joe Janiak, trainer:

"I can only blame myself for the barrier draw but it's not the end of the world."

(Janiak was buoyed when told barrier 12 had the best winning strike rate from the 1200m start.)

MEISHO BOWLER (JPN) - Barrier 7

Delivered perhaps the best workout seen this week from the overseas contingent with a cracking gallop in 21.0 on the dirt.

Yuichi Fukunaga, jockey:

"He is sometimes reluctant to work, but he wasn't like that this morning. Everything is set for Sunday and he really is in good form. He is very consistent. I know for Japanese runners, this is the most difficult race to win, but it suits us now that the race is over 1200m around a bend. We have a big chance."

Toshiaki Shirai, trainer:

"Draw seven is neither too inside nor too outside. It fits him well."

RED OOG (AUS) - Barrier 14

Joe Pride, trainer:

"It's not good, the barrier. When he wins he's invariably midfield inside and just four or five lengths off them so what we do from 14, I'm not too sure. I should have drawn it myself instead of the owner!"

Before the draw, Pride said:

"I have had a good look at the opposition on the track this week and one of the horse who has really taken my eye is the Japanese sprinter Meisho Bowler. He looks a pretty good horse to me and obviously Takeover Target is the one to beat and he looks well. The bottom line for us is not so much the opposition but getting the right run with plenty of pressure up front."

SHE IS TOSHO (JPN) - Barrier 11

Keniichi Ikezoe, jockey:

"I will work her with a half-speed gallop on Saturday morning and that will ready her for the race. The draw in 11 is fine."

SCINTILLATION - Barrier 6

Danny Shum, trainer:

"The horse has been pleasing me in his work of late and I think he is back to his best and if he is I am sure he will run a big race. I feel he is much better now than he was after his layoff [after a bleeding attack]. I'm not saying he will win, but he will run much closer than last time."

DOWN TOWN (HK) - Barrier 13

Did an impressive final workout in 22.5 sec for the run home on the sand.

Dennis Yip, trainer

"He's very well and the work with Olivier [Doleuze] was good too. After he was second in the Sprint Trial we felt he would be good enough to place in the big one on Sunday and with a good draw he can do the same."

DESERT LORD (GB) - Barrier 4

Kevin Ryan, trainer:

"I wanted the draw to be from gate one and six so I couldn't ask for better than that. The horse looks marvellous. He has had an uninterrupted preparation and has settled in and eaten well.He is very quick,but I am sure the 1200m will be no problem. He is uncomplicated and I would like to think hegets a breather around the bend. He never looks like stopping so the long straight shouldn't hold any fears."

BENBAUN (GB) - Barrier 3

Mark Wallace, trainer:

"I think he is as well as I've had him and we just need a good draw - he has only run round a bend once, in Japan,where he finished fifth, and he was unlucky that day,though we would not have beaten Takeover Target."

SUNNY SING - Barrier 8

Matthew Wong, owner:

"We have targeted this race since his win in the Sha Tin Sprint Trophy over 1000m. It's not a bad gate since we will be coming from the back."

John Moore, trainer:

"He's cherry ripe and he will avoid any traffic from a middle gate. He was in the wrong part of the track last start so forget that."

BILLET EXPRESS- Barrier 10

Came into the race at 11th hour after the pre-declaration withdrawal of Fast Parade who was not pleasing his trainer in his work.

John Moore, trainer:

"He's a Group One winner so he is entitled to be there. It will be tough to win this one, though."

Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Vase

SCORPION (IRE) - Barrier 5

Breezed on the turf under Seamus Heffernan, his jockey:

"He worked very well. He felt great. He's a very straightforward horse so I don't think tactics in the race will be too much of an issue but it depends what Aidan [O'Brien trainer] tells me. He will be here on Saturday.

"Scorpion is still lightly raced so we've every reason to believe he is still improving and even if he's a St Leger winner he's a still very fast horse. He has loads of class."

KASTORIA (IRE) - Barrier 1

Jimmy O'Neill, head lad to trainer John Oxx:

"The work there was fine. Mick Kinane will be on her tomorrow on the turf to stretch her legs and John Oxx will be here as well. I know she disappointed a bit in Canada but the ground there was very soft and the only other time she was below par was on a similar surface. She will love the going here and she seems very well to me."

OUIJA BOARD (GB) - Barrier 2

Worked on the turf in 22.8 sec under Frankie Dettori.

Ed Dunlop, trainer;

"No problems there with the draw and I can tell you that Frankie said she was awesome this morning so that's good enough for me. The signs are good. Her bodyweight is right and I just hope that it's not one race too many. We would like a good pace. Sha Tin's mile-and-a-half is easier than the one in Tokyo and Frankie rides it brilliantly.

MARAAHEL (GB) - Barrier 9

Richard Hills, jockey:

"He can be a bit of a fidget in the stalls but if things go okay there I would like to have him sitting in midfield. He ran a fantastic race a year ago [third to Vengeance Of Rain in the Cup] and he's in top form. He's an old hand at this game."

SONG OF WIND(JPN) - Barrier 6

Travelling-head lad Kazuhiro Yamayoshi:

"We just want to keep him relaxed so that's why we gave him only light work today."

ADMIRE MAIN(JPN) - Barrier 4

Worked very nicely on the dirt in 22.7 sec.

Mitsuru Hashida, trainer:

"He looked very sharp this morning. He is confirmed a frontrunner and if he can show his true performance he has a big chance. The draw in four is fine, because we have a little time until getting to the first bend and he will like the ground."

EGERTON (GER) - Barrier 7

Torsten Mundry, jockey

"If he can finish in the first five it will be a good run."