View Single Post
Old 01-18-2017, 07:54 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Maybe I am the minority voice here, but I have not seen a single compelling argument as to why thoroughbred racing needs a $12,000,000 race in the middle of the winter racing season - aside from putting a one hour focus on Florida if the television networks even give a damn. Where do I have this story wrong?

[1] We have all but dropped handicap racing in the United States which was the true genesis of an older horse "triple crown". The comment that these older horses would not be ready to travel 10f in January tells you that this cannot be a "triple crown" event of any level. You want an older horse triple crown in line with the history of the game? How about getting back to true handicap racing and, god forbid, ask a horse to travel more than 1 1/8 miles while doing it?

[2] While it is for those who really follow the names to have a California Chrome versus Arrogate rematch, are we now saying that the Breeder's Cup Classic is not enough from just two months back? Gulfstream Park would be holding this race in complete obscurity without those two signed on.

[3] This $12,000,000 event has limited sustainability. This is the Spend a Buck Jersey Derby from 1985 in a new suit.
1. That would require a national authority with teeth and that's unlikely to happen. The owners and trainers with the stock and power to control the game don't want fair racing. They want the illusion that their horse is just as good as past champions who had weight on their back. Adversity is a triggering word in North American racing.

2. It isn't enough. The good horses don't run enough. This is a bold move with a high ceiling.

3. We shall see. I strongly disagree.