View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 05:18 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolyB View Post
Now that takes me back a number of years, Cal. My best recollection is that ESPN ran this contest for a number of months in 2001, with the object being to pick the winner of all 6 designated races with the lowest number of picks. I think that you received something like 15 maximum picks and could allocate them to the contest races in whatever way you wanted, but if more than one player hit all 6 races, the winner would be the one who used the fewest picks. Used to drive me crazy figuring how to allocate the picks and how small the number of picks could be.

As I recall there was also a grand prize for the entire contest which was very generous, possibly an all expense paid trip to the Kentucky Derby.

My wife and I spent the winter of 2000-2001 in South Florida and for the first month of the contest on Saturday mornings I would go to a local library to use their computer and submit my entry for that week before heading to Gulfstream for the afternoon's races.

Thanks for bringing back those memories.
That was a fun contest. I can't remember exactly what the prize was either. I was thinking maybe a couple of grand, but that could be wrong. I think you have all the other details right.