View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Saratoga

Ooops, might be a few days old but catching up...

From RP.

Conduit to miss Japan Cup; Papal Bull runs

David Milnes

BREEDERS' CUP TURF hero Conduit will not run in the Japan Cup later this month, when trainer Sir Michael Stoute will rely on Papal Bull instead.

A trip to Tokyo for the lucrative 1m4f event on November 30 was mooted for Conduit in the aftermath of his stunning defeat of Eagle Mountain at Santa Anita but the St Leger winner will not be making the trip to the Far East, where Britain could also be represented by Sixties Icon and Purple Moon.

Conduit stays in training as a four-year-old in 2009, when the $5m Japan Cup could well enter the equation. Stoute followed the same pattern with Pilsudski, who lifted the Turf in 1996 before going on to win in Japan the following year.
Papal Bull is already well versed with the Japan Cup having finished seventh, beaten only five lengths, behind Admire Moon in the Grade 1 showpiece 12 months ago.

Jane George of the Newmarket-based International Racing Bureau said: "Conduit is definitely not going forthe Japan Cup but Sir Michael Stoute has entered Papal Bull who I understand will be ridden by Ryan Moore.

"Sixties Icon is also on course whilst Purple Moon has been invited but is yet to be confirmed."