View Single Post
Old 10-31-2008, 11:48 AM
Saratoga

Form commnets from the JRA.....

Admire Fuji (6yo, horse)
Mitsuru Hashida (trainer)
“His time is good, and he looked good. He’s relaxed and because he’s a big horse, the last race really helped. He’s in extremely good condition. With a bit of luck, we might have a really good shot.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Admire Monarch (7yo, horse)
Hiroyoshi Matsuda (trainer)
“He’s as ready as he can be. He showed that he can compete in his last race in the Kyoto Daishoten, and he has a good track record at Tokyo. But the distance might be a bit short.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Air Shady (7yo, horse)
Masanori Ito (trainer)
“He doesn’t need to be forced to run any more. He used to just run on his hind legs, but is using all four legs now. I think he’s in the best shape he’s ever been. He won a prominent race this year (American Jockey Club Cup), and he is making progress. All we’re missing is the big one.”

Asakusa Kings (4yo, colt)
Yusuke Fujioka
“The track was a bit dug up so he came up somewhat slow in the end, but overall, he moved well. He was good last week, too, and I like the way he’s breathing after workouts. I see him as a horse who has endurance, and likes to come off toward the front. I think his style suits Fuchu the way the track is right now.”
(left)

Company (7yo, horse)
Kenichi Shono (training rider only)
“He mopped up the last furlong in 12.8 seconds which is very good. He used to coast it at times in training, but he was sharp this morning. Compared to his last race, you can tell he’s itching to run. And I think he’s put back on some of the weight.”

Daiwa Scarlet (4yo, filly)
Katsumi Ando
“She just went through the motions today, but she’s in more than good shape. Her time on today’s surface was fine and she had good rhythm. She was a bit heavy at first, but these last two, three weeks it felt like she’s been racing all long. She’s sharp, and it’s business as usual. 2,000 meters is her best distance. I think she’s a cut above the rest, and as long as she runs at her rhythm, she won’t stop, period.”

Deep Sky (3yo, colt)
Mitsugu Kon (trainer)
“When he first came back to the stable after the summer, the workouts didn’t go as well as we had hoped and he was far from 100 percent. But that he still won (the Kobe Shimbun Hai, Japanese St. Leger Trial race over 2,400 meters on Sept. 28) goes to show he is much stronger than he was in the spring. He went all out last week, so this week we’ve just been working on his finishing. I think we’ve had an excellent workout for a Grade 1 race.”

Dream Journey (4yo, colt)
Kenichi Ikezoe
“He used to struggle in workouts, but he ran straight today. The key for him will be the trip. If he can stay calm and not be distracted by the others, he should be fine. We’ll stick to what we can do. Physically and mentally, he’s really coming on. He was incredible today. I think he’s in the best shape possible. The competition will bet a lot tougher this time, but I’m upbeat given his form right now. I like our chances.”

Erimo Harrier (8yo, gelding)
Hidetaka Tadokoro (trainer)
“He cannot keep up (with the front runners), so he'll likely run from behind. My hope is that the turf gets a little heavy or the pace of the race quickens up.”

Higher Game (7yo, horse)
Yokichi Okubo (trainer)
“He didn’t break well in his last race. But it was his first race after a break, and you can expect to see some kind of improvement. I like to think we have a shot, if the race comes down to the stretch.”

King's Trail (6yo, horse)
Kazuo Fujisawa (trainer)
“He had a light workout but I thought he moved well. He was getting very tense so I wanted to relax him a bit. He’s probably right where he needs to be, heading to the race wanting to run more. He didn’t have problems taking the lead in his last race because there were no other frontrunners. He can be a bit up-and-down emotionally, but if his mind is in it, we have a shot.”

Osumi Grass One (6yo, horse)
Yoshiyuki Arakawa (trainer)
“He exploded over the last furlong. I think he was a bit unlucky in his last race because the pace didn’t suit him. With this horse, it’s simple because he just sticks to his style. If it works, it works; if it doesn’t, it doesn’t.”

Pop Rock (7yo, horse)

Hiroyuki Uchida
“He’s much sharper after getting a race under his belt. He just needs to run at a good rhythm to save himself for the final stretch. It should be interesting, but a too fast of a race will be difficult for him.”

Sakura Mega Wonder (5yo, horse)
Yasuo Tomomichi (trainer)
“Everything’s gone according to plan. He’s moving well, and there was a lot we reaped from the Mainichi Okan (leadup race). He wasn’t fazed by the travel to the track the day before, and that was big. If he runs to his potential, he’s as good as the best of them. Now if only he can just maintain his weight.”

Tascata Sorte (4yo, colt)
Hideaki Fujiwara (trainer)
“Our opponents will be much stronger than in the last race, but this horse has matured with age. We can hold our head up about it.”

Tosen Captain (4yo, colt)
Katsuhiko Sumii (trainer)
“His condition is picking up. We need him to be in a position where he’s neck and neck because he is resilient. If the race favors his style, I think he could be interesting.”
(left)

Vodka (4yo, filly)
Yutaka Take
“She’s much more relaxed than she was for the Mainichi Okan (leadup race). She’s noticeably picked up. I’ve never seen her in better form of all the times I’ve ridden her. As long as she can stay with the pace, the distance won’t be an issue because she has won the (Japanese Derby, over 2,400 meters). I want this one because I personally haven’t won with her and I know she has a lot of fans. I want to show what Vodka is all about.”