View Single Post
Old 03-02-2016, 10:25 AM
Saratoga

AUSSIE RULES
2003 - 2016

Following a very short illness due to a tumour, Classic-winning miler AUSSIE RULES has, on veterinary advice, been euthanized at Lanwades Stud.

By Champion racehorse and sire DANEHILL out of the Lanwades-bred top-class racemare LAST SECOND (Gr.2 Nassau Stakes, Gr.2 Sun Chariot Stakes, 2nd Gr.1 Coronation Stakes), AUSSIE RULES won his 2-year-old maiden race at The Curragh and went on to win the Gr.3 Somerville Tattersall Stakes at Newmarket in 2005. The following year he won the Gr.1 French 2,000 Guineas (Poule d’Essai des Poulains) at Longchamp and the Gr.1 Shadwell Turf Mile at Keeneland, Kentucky.

Trained by Aidan O’Brien for Coolmore and his breeder, H.H. Prince Faisal Salman, the horse retired to stud first at Castlehyde Stud in Ireland in 2007, before coming to Lanwades to stand in 2012.

AUSSIE RULES has so far sired the winners of over 790 races and over £10.7 million, worldwide. He has sired 104 individual 2-year-old winners and 18 Group/Stakes winners including the brilliant FIESOLANA (Gr.1 Matron Stakes and 4 other Group races), German Champion 2-year-old filly DJUMAMA and the popular Black Type performers DINKUM DIAMOND, BOOMERANG BOB and AUSSIE REIGNS, as well as many others.

“We are greatly saddened at the tragic loss of AUSSIE RULES” said Kirsten Rausing, Owner and General Manager of Lanwades Stud. “He was a lovely, co-operative horse to work with, his enthusiasm and zest for life makes his loss all the harder to bear for all of us who knew him. His name will live on through his many successful racing progeny”.

RIP

http://www.lanwades.com/l_news/2016_jan-mar.asp