Thread: 2018 US Open
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 04:59 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
I think there is a happy medium. A US Open course should obviously be set up very tough. But I don't think they should make the greens so rock hard that they don't hold. And they shouldn't be so fast that if you are 3 feet above the hole and miss the putt that it goes 15 feet by. We've seen that some years.

The greens should obviously be very fast, but not unplayable, like we have seen some years. All they need to do at most of these courses is make the rough very deep, narrow the fairways, and make the greens very fast, but playable. The greens should not be so rock hard that you hit a perfect iron shot and it goes right over the green.

With regards to scoring, you have 140 of the best players in the world. and of those 140 guys, you will have at least a handful who are absolutely on fire, totally in the zone. When you have the best of the best and they are playing their best, I think there should be a few guys under par for the tournament. If 1 or 2 under par is a really good score every day, I think that is fine. I think the winning score for the 4 days should be somewhere around 5 under, give or take a few shots either way.

If not a single guy can break par for the tournament, I think something is wrong. It probably means the course is unfair. I mean when you have the best players in the world, if not a single can break par, the course is obviously too tough IMO. By the same token, this is the US Open. If the winning score is 15 or 20 under, then the course was obviously playing too easy.

I didn't watch much today. I was mainly just following the scores on the internet. But I heard there was a 230 yard par 3, where Tiger, JT and DJ all hit perfect shots and nobody held the green. To me that is ridiculous. A 230 yard par 3 is hard enough, without making the green nearly impossible to hold.
I agree with your post. Wasn’t watching really close today but from what I gathered the wind had a lot to do with the high scores today.