Thread: Royal Ascot
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Churchill Downs

Thoughts on tomorrow. More rain in the offing, so form from this dry spring could be overturned all over the board. Look for horses who have soft-ground form or breeding. High-numbered posts are still ruling the roost in the straight course races.

I eschew the 2yo races; not enough data.

Everybody and his cousin has been tipping World Domination in the Edward VII, but he weakened on fast ground at 10f and I don't think Empire Maker over Nureyev screams 12f on soft. Nathaniel (Galileo over Silver Hawk) and Mijhaar (Shirocco over Nashwan) seem more suited. Nathaniel was only a head behind Treasure Beach (second by a head in the Derby) in the 12f Dee S, broke his maiden at 12f this spring, and was second in his debut on soft ground at Newmarket by a half-length to none other than Frankel. The third in the that maiden race, Genius Beast, is also in here; he won his maiden last fall on soft ground, came out to win the G2 Classic Trial, then was third in the 11f Prix Hocquart over in France. Kingmambo over Sinndar looks okay for soft as well.

Coronation stakes looks a a muddle. Might side with the French filly Immortal Verse, just because she has no form tied-in to the rest.

Haven't looked at the Wolfterton. In the 2 mile Queen's Vase for 3yos, the ones who look like they will last on the soft include Namibian, Regent Street, Solar Sky, and the filly Hawaafez. Just MHO.

I have narrowed the last (a 30-runner handicap) to 4 horses - Across the Rhine, Rakaan, Manasses, and Kinky Afro (who has form with Dolly). Eliminated all horses drawn 10 or less. Even 11-15 might be iffy.