Thread: Bombaguia
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 02:48 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Seriously, what are you talking about?

It's not about bad horses or good horses. If you really want to try and understand, the quality of the animal does not matter.

You're right, it isn't simple, but it's also not that confusing if you would just shut up and listen to what people are saying. The horse was making his first start on grass. He had shown speed previously and on Sunday found himself far back early. He made a pretty solid run around the turn and passed 7 horses in the matter of a few seconds. That is not typically the kind of move you see winning, however it was a very encouraging run.

Now, if he shows up in a stake next time, or if he's 6/5 in a maiden race, yeah, he's not the kind of horse you bet back. But if he's a fair price, he's the kind of horse you want to bet back, because of his run.

That is the point of this room. To discuss trip horses. No one is suggesting betting each of these horses with both fists. It's an exchange of ideas about horses. It's not a good vs bad list.

What is so confusing about this?
EXACTLY! Trip handicapping is an art, not a science, and we all won't necessarilly agree on what is a good or bad trip. The idea is to put up a horse and a race here, watch it, and then discuss and decide for yourself. That is how you learn. That's the value of this room.

I won't start a new thread, but I'll throw out another name and race: McDuffie from Santa Anita's 5th race on Sunday. I put him on my watch list.