Thread: Bombaguia
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
Help me understand then. What about a horse like Battle Of Hastings? Horrible underlay because of a bad trip, what did he do? I just dont think its that simple. If a bad horse has a bad trip it does not mean you simply bet him back off that trip. You need to understand the race, the conditions and everything else that goes with it. Or this horse for example has already had bad wide trips, and just continues to have them.
The way I approached Battle of Hastings was as follows. He is a horse that has a very difficult time winning in the past. His trouble in the Ft. Lauderdale was VERY well documented and he became the type of "trip" horse that often becomes a "trap." In the context of the Ft. Lauderdale the other horse who was affected, perhaps not in such a dramatic way, was Smart Bid. I opted for the latter in the hopes that his price would be 5-6x what BOH's price would be. It ended up being 8x the price, and I lost by a nose.

You shouldn't take a horse like BOH at what you think will be a small price, and that is because trips are subjective.