View Single Post
Old 04-28-2022, 11:04 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
I don't think Mitchell running her in the BIG CAP was a terrible idea.
Considering the outcome, a derailed racing career (St. Trinians) and a derailed jock agent career (yours), I think it was a terrible idea. And that's just the tip of the iceberg...

Quote:
She had a very funky way of traveling. She also was much better at Hollywood Park than Santa Anita.
Up to that point, she was unbeaten at Santa Anita winning 3 races by a total of 10 lengths including a clear victory over the dominant BC Distaff winner.

Quote:
I think his reasoning was this would give him more time to prepare for the Vanity which I know he felt was his best chance at beating QUEENIE.
This has to be a joke. The Santa Margarita was a week later and the Vanity was not for another 3 months.

Quote:
He knew ST. TRINIANS didn't have much shot at beating ZENYATTA in the Santa Margarita.
You saw the actually running of the 2010 Santa Margarita, right? St. Trinians would have romped with a clean trip.

Quote:
The Cap was $750,000 and not a very strong field at all. MISREMEMBERED beat the likes of NEKO BAY, DAKOTA PHONE and JERANIMO I think the Santa Margarita was $400,00 or $500,000.
Seems like Zenyatta should have been in that race then.

Quote:
As it turned out Mitchell was right about the Vanity. When ZENYATTA won that race she ran down a horse that was running AWAY from the rest of the field.
Really? I've never seen a race where the first two home are lengths clear of the rest of the field (i.e., listed winner Will O Way, etc). I guess that means there was actually 2 good horses in the race, something rarely seen in CA nowadays. Must be evidence of a generational talent.

Quote:
I'll never forget Mitchell walking over to Sherriffs and shaking his hand. As if to say hey I took my best shot and you still got me.
Personally, I would have offered to pay Zenyatta's nomination fee for the Hollywood Gold Cup AND the Pacific Classic.