View Single Post
Old 06-22-2006, 07:26 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
I don't know that define is the word Tim was looking for. Frankly, if you have taken the time to find a horse racing message board and are a regular poster, than you aren't like most horse racing fans. Secondly, there are a group of people at the track who are there simply to gamble, i.e. they would be gambling on dogs or anything else if it was within driving distance. Then there are those who love horse racing and therefore gamble on it.

I can't envision my life without horse racing in it, but it doesn't define me. It takes up more of my time than any other hobby I have by far. But I feel like its quality time if I can make a buck at it....But the fact that Breeders Cup Day is my favorite day of the year times 10 makes it obvious that horse racing is more than a simple vice. Just a great game.
I echo a lot of what Randall said but would add a few things. To "define" someone is a label thats just about impossible to assign without knowledge of another person completely. I'd have to say that anyoen who is defined by one thing in life has a very empty existence.
Life is completely bland when you only care about one thing. This is a horse racing board so thats what we basically speak about. I'm sure that I, like others, reach a point in the day when we have just had enough. Politics, movies, reading, sports, just so many other things hold my interest. Then of course we all have duties or responsibilities in life that we don't choose, they are just there and must be performed. Horse racing is something I have great passion for, but too much of anything will make you sour on it.
I think that many only view racing as a gambling outlet. These are the folks who are constantly bitter about the game and speak a lot of negativity about it. Some of us can watch races or handicap a card as a mental exercise and enjoy it without betting. Some of us really get pumped up watching a great horse like Ghostzapper run just to see him perform. The fact that he is 1-9 is meaningless. There are a lot of races to bet every day but so rarely do you get to see a great animal run.
I think thats what seperates the people here, some with passion for the sport,and some who only view it as gambling.