View Single Post
Old 07-05-2015, 09:52 AM
Steve Byk

From Greg Dellinger, his eulogy at Steve's service..

Good afternoon. My name is Greg Dellinger. On behalf of my mother, LaVerne, and my brother Dan, we would like to thank you for being here. We are so very appreciative of your support, as there is no doubt, we all loved my brother Steve.

Steve lived life. In fact, I would say he lived life bigger, bolder, brighter, almost double the voltage, than anybody else I know. He celebrated at every opportunity, many times just for the joy of it. And always sharing the happiness. I think that is why horse racing was his passion and calling. The elegance, excitement, intrigue, romance, and incomparable drama. He rarely missed a moment, and was always part of the action.

I sometimes would wonder where this came from, as growing up, we were not around horses. I mean once my mom let Steve and I ride a horse around a ring through the park district, yet that was it. We did think about getting a couple of horses and riding them from our house, past the library and the A&P, down Glenview Road and past Flower City, grabbing a beer at the Glenview Inn, and then right out of Dodge.

Steve had this amazing knack for handicapping. Creative, and super fast with figures, he would come up with the amazing scenarios. More often than not, they would come in.

Citation, Whirlaway, John Henry, Secretariat, American Pharoh, and now the new colt Irish Pharoh, Steve knew these horses to be the very sharpest cuts of all. He understood them, their trainers, owners, and their jockeys. He could do this because he cared.

Steve always, I mean always, called it the way it was. Loving and kind with an amazing spirit, personality and optimism. He would text me, and encourage me to stay strong, as tomorrow will always be a better day. Those my friends are his exact words.

As we grieve today, I would like share with you what Steve told me just a few months back that there is always a tomorrow that can’t be as bad as today or yesterday. He told me he would always be here for me, for us. And you know what, he is. In our memories, thoughts, and prayers. I can feel it, his laugh, smile, and spirit.

Steve won the race of life. He did it his way. No photo finish, and not down to the wire. By the eighth pole he had it nailed, by the sixteenth, he was so far ahead. He finished and won it all. He is home. The glory of heaven. And if you are wondering, as we all are how to carry on, we have Steve to help us, as he told me just a week ago: Life goes on for all, and stay strong!!!!!

God Speed, and Rest In Peace Steve Dellinger, we love you.