View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Santa Anita

Marquetry...we just visited with him a few months ago. The staff at Old Friends loved him so much, and it was easy to see why.

A statement from Michael at Old Friends:

Quote:
If I'd written this yesterday, like I was supposed to do, it would be a much happier update.
We lost Marquetry this morning. He was humanely euthanized after injuring himself in a freakish stall accident. We await the results of the necropsy. But that is not, of course, what really matters. Selfishly, I can say that I lost one of by best friends as did anyone who ever had the good fortune to lay eyes on one of the most magnificent Thoroughbreds who ever lived.
I like, to one degree or another, all of our retirees. But I only truly love a few and Marquetry is at the top of the list. I apologize, in advance, for this sort of self-indulgence but Marquetry was a very, very special friend.
After spending each day in his paddock, directly in front of the house so we could appreciate the view, he'd greet Reymundo at the gate at 4 p.m. sharp. He'd prance up the driveway, walk through the barn door and into his stall where fresh hay, feed and carrots awaited him. If there were not enough carrots, he'd shoot us a look and neigh. He knew what he wanted and when he wanted it but he was never rude. His majesty is difficult to capture in words. But photographs taken by Barbara Livingston, Anne Eberhardt Keogh, Matt Wooley and Rick Capone all provide testimony to his brilliance.
It's funny how these things happen but just the other day, as I was cutting his carrots on the bench in the barn, I looked over at him and thought it would be great if Bobby Frankel could come back for just a few seconds to see how wonderful everything worked out.
But Marquetry was, as we all are, mortal. But for many years he had me fooled. We have, and will, retire many great horses. But none will ever take his place. I can promise you that. Thanks to all of you...our old friends..who are always there when we need you most.
So long, great one.