View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 09:10 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
I don't have a problem with Polytrack Sumi, but I don't know that this is a debate about that. The whole notion of the sport will be under attack, not simply the surface they run on. Not to mention that horses break down on Poly too, not as many, but the opposers won't see that as acceptable....Again, I'm interested in the long term health of the sport, which I believe along with baseball is the best thing going.
Well...I love racing! I'm also a PETA member. I can balance the two by demanding that racing continue to police itself, cut down on illegal use of drugs and other abuses, and constantly seek safer surfaces, equipment etc. I think folks that take the "all or nothing" point of view are indeed well-intentioned but misguided. There is a time to work within the system and a time to tear the system down and start anew...at this point, I feel racing is populated mainly by good folks who love horses are really do want to make it safer for horse and jockey alike. It's easy to see the dishonesty and cruelty, tougher to see the everyday acts of compassion and caring! Racing will survive as long as it has a right to survive....if it turns it's back on it's problems, it loses that right!