View Single Post
Old 03-25-2021, 09:39 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
He seems like a horse on the improve. I think you can throw out the race in the slop and I don’t think the race at Tampa was a fair indicator of his talent.

On the flip side...what do you like about Spielberg? To me he seems like a horse who stepped up in Baffert’s juice den (Oaklawn) and has really never run a race that makes him a contender.
If we look at his last race, the figures put him at the top of this group: 90 Beyer, 114 Timeform, and I believe his thorograph number was the same or similar to Greatest Honour's best. From a trip perspective, he had a bad start in the Southwest, spotted the field about 2 lengths, was wide throughout, and still managed to beat the 3rd place finisher Jackie's Warrior by 4 lengths.

It seems like he's got tactical speed to get himself good position and work out a nice trip in the Florida Derby.

I guess my biggest concern with him is whether we've seen enough of him where he's already hit near his peak and we can't expect another big move from him. But even if he runs a similar race to the Southwest but just has a better trip, then I think he's got a strong chance.