View Single Post
Old 07-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Saratoga

From Racing Post.....

Dettori pursues audacious Friday double
by Jon Lees

FRANKIE DETTORI will pursue an audacious double on Friday when he seeks to win two Group 1 races in two different countries by taking in both the July Cup at Newmarket and the Grand Prix de Paris at Longchamp.

With the help of a helicopter to take him from Britain to France, Dettori will partner the Brian Meehan-trained Red Rocks in the Grand Prix de Paris having first ridden Iffraaj for Godolphin in the Darley-sponsored July Cup, for which 17 horses were confirmed at the 48-hour declaration stage.

Dettori said: "The race has eluded me for 20years and I'm hoping that Iffraaj can give me my first victory in it. It's a very tough race but I'm eager to win it in my own back yard."

Commenting on his dash from Newmarket to Paris, Dettori added: "I've done it before. We take a helicopter for an hour and a half flight and then land at Parc des Princes about ten minutes from the track. "The Grand Prix de Paris looks a tough race but Red Rocks is a decent horse, and his form is rock solid."

The first five home in the Golden Jubilee Stakes lock horns again, headed by Royal Ascot winner Les Arcs and current July Cup favourite Takeover Target, who forms part of a twin Australian challenge completed by Falkirk.

Aidan O'Brien, successful in the July Cup with both Mozart and Stravinsky, has booked his former stable jockey Mick Kinane to partner Marcus Andronicus in the absence of the banned Kieren Fallon.