Thread: Angels
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2006, 04:11 PM
Saratoga

Phantom Rose.....

Fly with the angels, little one.

A tough loss for Frankel

The holiday season took a decided turn for the worse for trainer Bobby Frankel, whose emotions were raw Saturday morning at Hollywood Park. Frankel was grieving the death of the filly Phantom Rose, a high-class import who had to be euthanized Friday following a freak accident on the training track at Hollywood Park on Thursday morning.

Phantom Rose, 3, was a regally bred daughter of Danzig out of Honest Lady, the 2000 Breeders' Cup Sprint runner-up. She was scheduled to run next Saturday at Santa Anita in the Grade 1, $250,000 La Brea Stakes, in which she would have been one of the top contenders.

"This is probably the worst I've ever felt," Frankel said as his eyes, already reddened, started to water. "What made it worse was being around her all day [Friday]. She wanted to live. She wanted somebody to help her. But when they did the surgery on her, there was nothing they could do.

"She was so kind. Those kind don't come around too often."

Frankel said Phantom Rose severely injured the area near a stifle when she careened into a metal rail. Phantom Rose is a granddaughter of Toussaud, whose offspring are notorious for being talented yet skittish.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/81427.html