View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 08:36 AM
Santa Anita

Default New Zealand Racing, 2009-10

It'll be August 1 in about two weeks - the first day of the 2009-10 season. And that means our first G1, the Mudgway at Hastings, is only just over a month away.

I've decided to start a new thread for it because it's going to be the best season ever!

Time for some predictions that will look pretty stupid a year from now.

The three stars of the season:

Mufhasa
Champion sprinter this season and almost certainly Horse of the Year. He won the G1 Telegraph in 1:07.39. I don't think there's any horse in NZ that can keep up with him in sprint races.

Tell A Tale
This season's best 3yo should be bigger, stronger and more mature next season. He showed amazing speed in the 2000 Guineas and great courage with his 3rd in the Derby on a wet track over a distance way beyond what he's bred to handle. I think he could be a winning machine next season over a mile.

Prince Of Wales
I know this time last year I predicted that the Moroneys would have a big 3yo year with Altered Image and it didn't quite happen, but I think this colt could be better.

I'm not picking any Te Akau horses to have a big season, which is sure to be wrong - especially now they've contracted James McDonald (champion apprentice and number 1 jockey overall) to ride for them this season. Scary combination!

Summing up my predictions:

Best 3yo male up to a mile: Prince Of Wales
Best 3yo female up to a mile: St Germaine
Best 3yo male beyond a mile: Bally Duff
Best 3yo female beyond a mile: Masquerade
Best older male sprinter: Mufhasa
Best older female sprinter: Shanzero
Best older miler: Tell A Tale
Best older stayer: Daffodil

As Ellerslie race caller George Simon says, "let's bring it on."