View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 11:28 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastinvader
Have you ever been a bowler?

If so, you may know some bowlers are "spot" bowlers. They make the roll strategy "simple" by picking a spot on the set of arrows that is most likely going to result in their particular roll style hit the desired spot on the standing pins.

That's a way to handicap greyhounds, to some degree. Particularly in a 5/16 race if you can simply handicap the 3 or 4 dogs to come out of the first turn and still be near the lead you could have a pretty good chance in quinella, exacta and trifecta wagers.

Any dog that has a chance of closing from beyond the top 4 after the first turn usually shows pretty clearly in the form and can be factored/played accordingly.

I pay close attention to past performance in terms of a dog liking an inside or outside route, and then look at speed and endurance. If a dog looks like it likes an inside route, and has the speed to clear the first turn in front.....and doesn't show a tendency to tire.....that's a solid play.

Of course the #1 dog has a statistical advantage in most cases because normally there will not be a dog on the inside of it on the front stretch to drift out and knock offstride. On a similar note, I do look for likely collisions that could happen on the first turn due to multiple dogs likely wanting to be in the same place at the same time.

I've played dog tracks from Florida (every one, including the old track at South Beach.....long gone), Wisconsin, Arizona, New England and I think every state that has/had 'em including West "by golly" Virginia.

I've done pretty well over the years. Oh, and by the way, don't bet every race....of course. Pick your spots. And if you play win-place-show watch the pools closely. Normally not much $$ there and it's amazing how low of a "win" wager can make the odds board change.

I miss the dog tracks. Wish we had 'em out here in California.
this is probably a better strategy than what i was do.

i always bet the gray.

i win some but it never seems to cover the takeout.