View Single Post
Old 07-04-2020, 09:19 AM
Oriental Park

The late pick 4 at Belmont presents a wonderful handicapping challenge, and I'm usually a ready mark for all graded stakes pick 4's. Today's grouping presents just too many questions for me to struggle with, even though they make each of the races ones that I'll have to watch. I wonder whether any of the rest of you have asked some of these questions.

Got Stormy is a fantastic mare, but has her recent form gotten somewhat suspect?

McKinzie has had a great run, and when Baffert ships East and Mike Smith gets on a plane, the horse is probably ready to run - but is McKinzie the same horse as last year?

Sadler's Joy is as consistent as they come and always tries hard. At 7, how much gas is still left in the tank?

Rockemperor has always shown lots of promise - will this be the day for him to finally show that turn of foot that made him a winner in Europe?

Tacitus is always in contention and gets heavily bet. I've torn up a number of tickets when he hasn't quite been able to get the job done, even though he has looked like a winner at the head of the stretch. How many more times will he break my heart?

I ignored Sir Winston in last year's Belmont and paid the price. If I ignore him again today and include Mr Buff and Moretti instead, will I once again pay the price?

All of these questions involve only 4 races. To resolve them and play a pick 4 would be much too expensive. I think I'll try the early pick 4 instead, then when the late pick 4 rolls around, I'll put a hot dog on the grill, have something cold and refreshing, and just sit back and watch some wonderful horses run.

Have a wonderful 4th of June everyone, and stay safe.