View Single Post
Old 01-23-2022, 04:40 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal828 View Post
Turned out to be way tougher than I thought it would be. Allmost "Oaklawn"tough. I thought about playing s horizontal bet of some kind, but thought it might be a little chalky for that with the Mandaloun/Midnight Bourbon race and also even the LeComte looked like it could be a little chalky, but the Pick3,4 and 5 all paid Live and maybe learn one day, but I doubt it!!
I played the all stakes pick 5 and found to my dismay that it was a lot tougher in reality than it looked on paper. Scratches made the Krantz much less competitive than it could have been, but Pass The Plate still paid a very generous price - perhaps bettors just couldn't figure out what to do with the Janelle Morae, the Brazilian import who took lots of money. The Silverbulletday was just the opposite. I thought that it would be a very competitive race and felt that any one of 4 runners had a very good chance of winning. The heavy favorite La Crete proved me wrong on that. I was most worried about the Colonel Bradley and went 4 deep and would have gone even deeper if the bankroll had permitted it. The victory by the outside horse at a price proved that theory - I'm not sure I could have come up with him even with a deeper ticket. Cal pointed out how formful the Louisiana Stakes was. The leg that fooled me was the finale. I felt that it was very likely to be formful with 2 very strong contenders and two more marginal contenders. However, it was on paper an outsider who won the photo and led to a very generous payoff of the pick 5. There were two very close photos in the sequence and I came out on the wrong side of both of them. I will concede that if those two had both gone the other way I would have had a winning ticket but it would have been much smaller.