View Single Post
Old 08-29-2017, 12:06 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
I was very impressed with Battle of Midway. He has always been a talented horse but with the blinkers added he sure aired in this last race. Nothing about the effort can I critique and i think that was a very strong listed stake.
He's a nice horse, but I can't believe he's still holding his form (actually he's improving). Of all the horses that were likely to burn out from the Triple Crown trail, I would have banked on it being a colt that debuted in a 6f race in January that made its 4th career start in the Santa Anita Derby (and then on to Kentucky). I thought it was over for him after the Haskell debacle.

But the horse apparently likes to do the opposite of what you'd expect. What other horse has added blinkers and gone from a front-running style to settling into a stalking position? Added bonus is that he reversed form (to the tune of 10 lengths or so) on Gormley who was basically gifted the Santa Anita Derby when Battle of Midway did all the dirty work.

I presume the Pennsylvania Derby with its big purse is next. Personally if he were to win, I'd hope they'd still skip the BC Classic and maybe clean up late season prizes like the Clark, Cigar Mile, and/or Hollywood Derby. Next year seems like his time to shine.