View Single Post
Old 10-10-2014, 07:33 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles View Post
95% get it. Those that don't usually have a reason. You didn't address my point. By giving a preventative drug to some horses that gives them an edge, you basically create an unfair playing field and force those that don't need it to use it. I'm sorry, I'll never be convinced that drugging horses that don't need it is a good thing.

As I said in this thread, I'm fine with bleeders using Lasix, just make sure they are penalized somewhat for doing so to level the playing field. Forget me, a guy as respected as Jerry Brown is saying that Lasix gives an edge. Does that carry no weight?
force those that don't need it to use it-did you see how many horses bleed? you have to give it as a preventive, as there's no way to know that a horse will bleed-and many do at some point. any anti-bleeder, and right now Lasix is the only one I know of, has to be given as a preventive as there's no way to know beforehand that a horse will bleed. and it can be no bleeding to a bad case, or even cause death.
you'd rather it not be given because you feel it gives an edge, knowing that not using it would cause bleeders to bleed worse, and could cause serious injury or death?
the study basically said it levels the playing field for bleeders, because by being given it, they can run TO their ability-not beyond it.
I'd like to see a similar study done under racing conditions that would show me that it improves a non-bleeder. and then there's the issue of a non-bleeder becoming one. I'd rather prevent an episode than chance it-I'm not the one taking the risk, the horse is.
since you believe it does give an edge, I'm sure you bet accordingly. that's why the info is given, so you know.

from the study:

Results—Horses were substantially more likely to develop EIPH (severity score ≥ 1; odds
ratio, 3.3 to 4.4) or moderate to severe EIPH (severity score ≥ 2; odds ratio, 6.9 to 11.0)
following administration of saline solution than following administration of furosemide.

At least 80% of racehorses can be
expected to develop the condition at some time during
their career,1,2 approximately 60% of sudden deaths
during racing have been attributed to pulmonary hemorrhage
2 severe EIPH has been shown to adversely affect
race performance,3 and EIPH is believed to adversely
affect the overall health of racehorses.

so, we should tell those 80% of horses 'too bad'? can't use it on you because it might give another horse an edge?