View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 10:44 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles View Post
The point is pretty simple for me. Horses that use Lasix have a speed advantage over those that don't. I'm not a scientist, I don't know the exact reasons why. I really don't care. I just know it is so. That is how we got where we are today, where horses that don't need Lasix are given it all the time.

We are told now it is preventative. But, that isn't the main reason nearly every horse is given it. It is given to level the playing field. Jerry's idea tries to level the playing field without giving drugs to 95% of the horse population. I think it is a good idea. How can less drugs not be good?
when reading the report on the study, they said that a horse doesn't improve due to lasix, but they are able to run to their level because they don't have the bleeding issue. did you read the study? did you see the percentage of horses affected by bleeding?
if people don't wish to use it on their horses, they don't have to. but it is helpful to many horses, and should be allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles View Post
I don't think those other things make a horse that doesn't need it run faster if administered. I'm sure Lasix does. If Lasix is needed, fine, but it has gotten out of hand. And those that get it should be penalized. Weight is one idea, and seems a pretty good one to me.
lasix doesn't make a horse 'run faster'.
horses may not bleed for some time, and then suddenly they do. that's why people use lasix, they have no way of knowing when it'll happen to a horse.
read the study, seriously.