View Single Post
Old 05-12-2015, 08:45 AM
Saratoga

From the Singapore Turf Club...

Kranji trackwork - Tuesday

12 May 2015 | Singapore Turf Club

SINGAPORE AIRLINES INTERNATIONAL CUP

Cooptado (SG) – Patrick Shaw

Galloped on Track 1 under jockey Barend Vorster, reeling off the last 600m in 37.9secs.

“I was very happy with today’s gallop. He cantered from the 1600m and picked up on his gallop from the 800m,” said jockey Barend Vorster.

“It was a slightly longer gallop than Saturday’s where we cantered off from the 1200m.
He may have another small gallop on Thursday or Friday.”

Assistant-trainer Ricardo Le Grange, who has without fail been looking after Cooptado’s well-being and training since he landed on May 2 as well as continuing with his daily workout from 6am onwards, was delighted with the hit-out. Cooptado officially passed a New Registration trial on May 9 and is now qualified to race.

“It was a good gallop and he pulled up well. He’s nice and clean-winded,” said the South African horseman.

“The good thing is he has maintained his weight around 473-475kg. He was 472kg when he arrived.”

Smoking Sun (FRA) – Pascal Bary

Trotted and cantered up and down Track 4 with track rider Patrick Lemagny in the saddle.

“We did the same thing this morning, just up and down the track round the back,” said track rider Patrick Lemagny.
“We trotted first, did some light canter till the tower, turned around and cantered a little quicker and did the same thing again.

“He’s getting better and better.”

Smoking Sun’s groom Frantz Laine added that the Smart Strike entire was in a better disposition than he was in Hong Kong where he recently ran unplaced in the Group 1 Audemars Piguet Queen Elizabeth II Cup (2000m).

“He was not the same in Hong Kong. His head was down and he did not run well,” said Laine.

“But I noticed he was a lot happier here, more switched on. I think he remembers the place from last year (second to Dan Excel in the SIA Cup) and he knows he’s back.”

Meiner Frost (JPN) – Noboru Takagi

Walked one lap of Track 1 before moving to Track 2 where he did some strong canter in the last 600m under track rider cum assistant-trainer Satoshi Munakata.

“We are keeping his condition and that’s what our main objective is till raceday,” said track rider cum assistant-trainer Satoshi Munakata, who honed his craft in Ballydoyle, Ireland.

“Yesterday, he was looking around and I had him working a bit quicker to get his mind off the distractions. He was a lot more focused this morning, he is more used to the track already.

“He did some strong canter around 18 seconds per sectional (200m). Tomorrow, he is going on grass again and will probably do a quarter-gallop at good speed – around 70 seconds for five furlongs.”

Dan Excel (HK) – John Moore

Cantered with track rider Yeung Kai-tong up on Track 2 for 1 ½ laps, followed by 400-500m of trotting.

“He is doing well today with a relaxed canter on Track 2 (Polytrack),” said assistant-trainer George Moore.

“We plan to do something slow today and tomorrow, before going for a gallop on Thursday and Friday.”

Military Attack (SIA Cup) & Lucky Nine (KrisFlyer) (HK) – Caspar Fownes

Military Attack with track rider Paul Lo up and Lucky Nine with track rider Danny Suen up warmed up on Track 4 before both did a lap of easy cantering on Track 2.

Trainer Caspar Fownes arrived in Singapore last night (Monday) and was down at the tracks early this morning to watch Military Attack and Lucky Nine warm up and track their progress.

“It was a quiet, easy run today for both of them,” said Fownes.

“We medicated Military Attack’s legs yesterday. That is why he did not do much running at the track.
“No injuries, though. It is just the usual maintenance as they get older. It keeps the joints healthy. We have already run him on Sunday morning, so it’s not like he did not get a run-out.

“We are happy to be here, especially with Lucky Nine going for the hat-trick of Sprint titles. He is getting on in age and has just come off some substandard runs, but it doesn’t worry me.

“He has at least one good race left and let us hope this Sunday will be it.

“I will not be staying too long. I will be leaving on Wednesday so Man Kit-chiu (groom) will represent me for the draw on Thursday.”

Free Port Lux (FRA) – Freddy Head

One lap of trot and slow canter (1000m) and one lap of canter (1400m) on Track 2 (Polytrack) under track rider Philippe Bruneau, clocking 42.8secs for the last 600m.

“He’s doing well. He’s still a little nervous, but he’s not that bad,” said travelling lad Regis Barbedette.

“He is the sort who imagines things we don’t see – easily spooked, but not to the point he loses it completely.

“His weight is stable – 516 kilos and I will weigh him again tonight. (Trainer) Freddy (Head) will be at the track on Thursday.

“It will be the same routine tomorrow and we may give him a little wind-opener over 600m on Friday.”
Johnny Guitar, Quechua, Slew Of Lode (SIA Cup) & Magneto (KrisFlyer) (SG) – Patrick Shaw

Trainer Patrick Shaw’s Johnny Guitar (Barend Vorster) and Quechua (Corey Brown) galloped on Track 2 (Polytrack) over two laps to run the last 600m in 36.8secs while Slew Of Lode (Nooresh Juglall) also came out for pacework on Track 2 to clock the last 600m in 36 seconds. Magneto did not work after his gallop on Monday.

“Very happy with all of them, including Cooptado (see above),” said trainer Patrick Shaw.

“Johnny Guitar and Quechua did some canter and pacework over two laps on the Polytrack while Slew Of Lode (Nooresh Juglall) worked with In Fact a little later and did the same thing.

“That was it for them, except for Cooptado who may have one more gallop on turf. He needs a bit more than the rest.”

Stepitup (SG) – Laurie Laxon

Two laps of cantering on Track 2 (Polytrack), with another two laps in the pool later in the afternoon.

“He looks good this morning,” said assistant-trainer Shane Ellis. “He will swim another two laps in the afternoon.

“We will progress to galloping on the Polytrack tomorrow.”

Wild Geese (SG) – Steven Burridge

Trotted and cantered over two laps on Track 2 with Julie Burridge up.

“Just gave him a quiet morning, trot and canter on Track 2 twice,” said trainer Steven Burridge.

“He will have a gallop tomorrow. His work is good and his fitness is 100%.”

KRISFLYER INTERNATIONAL SPRINT

Aerovelocity (KrisFlyer) – Paul O’Sullivan

Cantered 1 ½ laps on Track 2 under assistant-trainer cum track rider Pierre Ng.

“He is feeling much better today,” said assistant-trainer cum track rider Pierre Ng. “He is not as shy, is starting to feel the track better and is more confidently speeding up too.

“We did a canter today for 1 ½ laps on Track 2 (Polytrack).

“We are looking to do a fast gallop on Thursday, but will have to wait for the boss to see if that will be done on the grass or Track 2.”

Rich Tapestry (HK) – Michael Chang

Slow canter over a lap on Track 2 with track rider Sit Shun-keung astride.

“He has been eating well these past few days. All has been good,” said Rich Tapestry’s stable representative Irving Chan.
“We did a slow canter on Track 2 (Polytrack), just like yesterday.”

Track rider Sit Shun-keung said trainer Michael Chang had handed over the reins to the ground crew until race night.

“Michael will not be in today but he has left instructions on the trackwork to be done for Rich Tapestry for the next few days,” said Sit.

Hototo (BAH) – Fawzi Nass

Trotted and hacked on Track 6 with track rider Hussain Abdulla in the saddle.

“He did a bit of the same thing as yesterday, slow canter, but a little longer,” said assistant-trainer Nicolas Iguacel.

“He was a little more relaxed this morning, but he’s a typical sprinter, always on his toes, especially if he sees the starting gates.

“We’re playing it by ear with him. He’s kept on improving, and to me he is ready to run tomorrow.

“I’m still deciding whether I will take him to the parade ring for some schooling. We’ll see.”

El Padrino (SG) – Alwin Tan

Slow canter over a lap on Track 3 (sand track).

“He did slow work on the Hong Kong track today,” said trainer Alwin Tan. “This is to keep him fresh for tomorrow’s gallop practice.

“For pre-race runs, I like to run them clockwise to balance out their muscle development.

“It is good to see him sweat it out because I am worried about him getting tied-up, which has happened before.

“Tomorrow he will go for his workout early, around 6.30am to the Polytrack on Track 6.”

Emperor Max (SG) – Stephen Gray

Trot and canter on Track 3 under track rider.

“I just gave him a trot and canter around the Hong Kong track (sand track) for one round this morning,” said trainer Stephen Gray.

“His last gallop on Saturday was good, good for him as he’s a lazy horse. His fitness and form is 100%.

“We’re planning to gallop him, breeze-up the hill tomorrow.”

Kiwi Karma (SG) – Michael Clements

Galloped on Track 2 with track rider up, sprinting up twice.

“It’s the same pre-race gallop she has done for me in the four starts she has had for me,” said trainer Michael Clements.
“She went very well. I’m very pleased with the way she galloped so easily.

“She pulled up good and was hardly blowing. I’ll just give her slow work from now till raceday.”

Zac Spirit (SG) – Cliff Brown

Galloped on the turf (Track 1) but going the opposite way with track rider up, running the last 600m in 34.1 secs.

“He did a gallop over half a mile on the grass this morning,” said trainer Cliff Brown.

“That is his regular Tuesday routine the week he runs. Everything’s fine with him.”